Parallels Releases OS X Native Virtualization!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
CNN is reporting that Apple is releasing Boot Camp software to allow users to boot windows xp. Although details are lacking at this moment, it came through as breaking news on the ticker, I bet this will be virtualization software.

Edit: The software is not virtual tech. It allows users to install windows and choose OS at start-up. It is going to come with Leopard. Can be downloaded now as beta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    (edit) Never mind, I was wrong.

Here it is.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

"Boot camp"?

In any case, it's pure speculation. I don't know what the deal is with mainstream media labelling rumors as fact.

no speculation...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006...5bootcamp.html
  • Reply 3 of 39
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    This is awesome.

A really cool thing is that it appears to be able to partition the drive for Windows, without erasing the hard drive. This is a feature Macs have not yet received, unless I'm mistaken and it's there in Tiger's Disk Utility. Did Apple go ahead and add the proper backwards-compatibility for BIOS with 10.4.6?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

This is awesome.

A really cool thing is that it appears to be able to partition the drive for Windows, without erasing the hard drive. This is a feature Macs have not yet received, unless I'm mistaken and it's there in Tiger's Disk Utility. Did Apple go ahead and add the proper backwards-compatibility for BIOS with 10.4.6?

I'd rather see virtualization software.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

.... Did Apple go ahead and add the proper backwards-compatibility for BIOS with 10.4.6?

You can't install Windows without it.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Me too but if it's true what I heard about only one OS being able to control the GPU then certain apps will require an XP boot. For apps that don't have heavy graphics, I'd prefer virtualization but booting will be more important for the majority.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Your wish is my command

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/
  • Reply 8 of 39
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    WOW. The MacDows news come rapidly these days
  • Reply 9 of 39
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Your wish is my command

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

Looks awesome. Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    So, I just got off the phone with my buddy Satan. He said that its a little cool back home right now.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Moving to the OS forums and change the title. This thread is for alternative dual boot and virtualization solutions.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I just saw the Parallels news today and it blew my mind.

First it makes dual booting look like a '52 Ford with stick shift and no air or radio. Throw in some nice bits like drag & drop between desktops and it's a winner.

Second it hits VPC really hard. MS had dropped all OS support for anything except 2000 and XP. Parallels appears to support everything:

"Use any version of Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, 2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, or MS-DOS in secure virtual machines running alongside Mac OS X."

If it works as advertised I'll actually be able to get a MBP. Right now I have to stay with the PPC PB because I have to demo one small Win only app.

Wonder if you can buy stock in Parallels . . . Better yet - maybe Apple will buy them!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    OK I've downloaded this (parallels) and tried to install my XP2 pro four times now. every time , at different points in the install, my machine (macbook 1GB 2GHz) kernal panics.

Anyone had any success???
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Notice the price...

They can´t be making money on it.

Perhaps they bet their company on MS or Apple buying them.

So anyone tried it yet?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    SOmeone did and if the video isn´t accelerated thats the fastest I have ever seen Windows go...

http://www.prodedgy.com/article/51

Amazing. Wonder what isn´t supported by this piece of software.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    That is pretty nice. Did you see the browsing speed on that thing? Smokes any Mac browser (even Firefox.app).
  • Reply 17 of 39
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I wouldn't make a blanket judgement on speed from a video.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Although I can't stand reading Macrumors threads, there are a number of people there who claim to have it running and are posting their comments. Reactions seem positive.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Notice the price...

They can´t be making money on it.

...yet. I believe it's still in Beta. As soon as its finished and they get the word around enough, I'm sure they'll start charging for it.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

OK I've downloaded this (parallels) and tried to install my XP2 pro four times now. every time , at different points in the install, my machine (macbook 1GB 2GHz) kernal panics.

Anyone had any success???

I may bring my Intel Mac home from work this weekend and give it a try. If this works, I am stoked! I will order me a new MBP and iMac immediately.