Mac Mini vs Mac Book Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am new to this forum and would like some advice. I currently own a VAIO A290 laptop which I use as a desktop replacement. The computer has a Pentium M 1.7 processor, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Radeon 9700 graphics with 64MB RAM, WiFi and Bluetooth, TV tuner, and a 17" WUXGA screen. I use my computer for Photoshop, File Maker Pro database, iTunes, downloading and watching Bit Torrent files, and occasionally recording cable TV. Before my VAIO laptop I had a 17" Powerbook which I used as a desktop replacement. I liked the laptop very much except for the LCD Since I do a lot with Photoshop, a high resolution screen is very important. I then purchased one of the first G5 iMacs. The screen was very clear but the computer had the hair dryer fan noise. I returned the iMac and purchased the VAIO. I have not had any problems with my laptop in the year and a half that I have owned it. I do miss the OS X and was looking at the Intel Mac Mini and the new Dell 20" LCD which sells for $529. I was interested in a stock Dual Core Mac Mini and I will upgrade the RAM to 1GB My other option will be the $2,000 Mac Book Pro I can use the DVI output to connect to a LCD if needed.

What will be my best option for my needs. I am concerned with some of the reports that I am reading about WiFi and Bluetooth reception in the Mac Mini, and the WiFi, heat, CPU whine on the Mac Book Pro. My VAIO has no issues whatsoever. Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    If it is just on your desktop, I highly recommend a Mac mini with a 20" display. I went down that route, replacing my iBook with a Mac mini and an Apple Cinema Display. The screen size is excellent, it it allows you to upgrade the mini fairly cheaply whenever you need (i.e. when 10.5 is out, when there is a decent upgrade etc) and keep the display for several generations of computer. I figure that with Apples keeping their value so well, you can sell a Mini on eBay and buy a new one for not much more than the cost of a new version of OSX! That's my $0.02 anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Also, I should mention, Apple has reportedly fixed all of the issues you mentioned in the Mac Book Pros which are currently shipping, and I've not heard of the problems you mention in the mini, so perhaps they are not widespread.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pjerpjer Posts: 2member
    Thanks G Warren for the reply. My other concern would be the graphics card in the Mac Mini. The Mac Book Pro has a better graphics card and the rest of the specs are about the same (Dual Core processor(1.83 vs 1.66) RAM, HD, WiFi & Bluetooth, DVI output. The Mac Mini will cost $800 + $100 for bluetooth keyboard & Mouse + $529 for the Dell 20" LCD Total cost $1,429 The Mac Book Pro will cost $2,000 The Dell Monitor will have better specs than the MBP but the MBP will have a slightly faster processor and much better graphics card. If I order the MBP from Amazon I will save $150 Now the decision comes down to better monitor vs better graphics card to use as a desktop replacement
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PJER

Thanks G Warren for the reply. My other concern would be the graphics card in the Mac Mini. The Mac Book Pro has a better graphics card and the rest of the specs are about the same (Dual Core processor(1.83 vs 1.66) RAM, HD, WiFi & Bluetooth, DVI output. The Mac Mini will cost $800 + $100 for bluetooth keyboard & Mouse + $529 for the Dell 20" LCD Total cost $1,429 The Mac Book Pro will cost $2,000 The Dell Monitor will have better specs than the MBP but the MBP will have a slightly faster processor and much better graphics card. If I order the MBP from Amazon I will save $150 Now the decision comes down to better monitor vs better graphics card to use as a desktop replacement

Why not the new 20" intel imac? Because your old g5 one had a fan noise?

The new ones I've used have been flawless.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by PJER

CPU Whine is not fixed. Some particular type of whine is considered within spec and apple ignores it so you still have to sit out a bit until they are in week 20-25 and/or additional options show up on the market. Maybe use educational discount too? or become apple student developer if you are a student and get an even bigger discount.If you are not a student then find a relative. GFX card in 2.0Ghz MBP model is good with 256MB.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hi everyone I own a 1.83 ghz intel mac mini, 2b of ram, 80GB hard drive. No i switched a few weeks back from a gateway. 30 GB hard drive 128MB graphics card (NVIDEA), and a 1.80GHZ processor with 512 of ram. Let me tell you, i noticed little different in graphics, yea i cant play halo, but theres much more you can do on a mac media wise. I noticed its much faster at opening apps (i was running vista), I had thought my Gateway was fast, But the mini screams. It handles everything i dish out. its also incredibly quiet. PJER, if you dont need to go mobile, get the mini, i love the front row remote, watch movies i rent in Itunes form bed. THe DVD playback quality is amazing, even on a mini with 64mb of shared video ram, it still is clearer than my gateway ever was. Now, regards to the monitor. You were considering a dell. DONT, I have a 19 inch Sceptre X9G-NagaV, gaming monitor only $199. very sharp, very clear, very crisp and fast. Shows up well in leopard. Its also calibrates okay for a third party monitor (not apple lcd) Heres the link

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/x-index.htm

consider it.

its also DVI. not just VGA. it has both ports.

works great with aperture, photoshop, iMovie, and anything you run on it, very good.

all sceptre products are good, they also ship quickly. even with standard shipping.

try it youll like it. its also smart. when you plug a DVI or VA input cable in, it automatically recognizes what your plugging in, auto sizes it, and theres no setup needed.

your mac also will recognize it if you look under about this mac, graphics/displays. its very easy to use, very bright, try it.

also alot cheaper than the Dell.