Radio in iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How can I access the BBC's radio services through iTunes radio streaming? I know that there is a BBC Radio widget, but its not universal and on my old iMac it was very unreliable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    davey-nbdavey-nb Posts: 32member
    I don't believe you can access BBC through iTunes.

If you go to the BBC Radio websites you can stream with Real Player or WMP.

Complain to them, they'll send you a polite reply saying they have no plans at the moment to support iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    There's no streaming but there are free podcasts in the itunes music store, some daily, some weekly.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Some of the Radio 4 shows have podcasts, but any BBC Radio show that has copyrighted music won't have a cast for the forseeable.

If you want to stream BBC radio without the browser based player, the easiest way is to use one of the two BBC radio player dashboard widgets available (see www.apple.com/macosx/dashboard/), which give you quick access to the live streams without opening safari or real player.

If you want quick access to "listen again" streams, open up the browser based player of the stream you want, click the "use external player", which opens it in real player, then bookmark the stream in Real Player, so then you can go back to it without opening safari (the bookmarks will be the same each week)

If you really had to get BBC radio shows on your iPod, get Audio Hijack Pro (search for it at www.versiontracker.com, it's worth the few bucks). It allows you to schedule recording of Real Player streams and add them as MP3s to your iTunes library. If I were to use it, I'd get my Mac to schedule recording of BBC "listen again" streams in the middle of the night so that they were ready on my iPod in the morning (I couldn't possibly comment on whether I actually do this currently... ahhh, Annie Mac and Zane Low on my iPod...)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sorry - just re-read the bit about it being universal - I'm afraid I missed the point and we'll have to wait until Real Player is Universal...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Why would it matter if it was universal? Something that small should never choke in Rosetta.