how do i know it is dual core?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
how do i know that my pm is dual core? if i see the packaging yes.. its said dual core..but in the system profiler it is written " dual 2ghz power PC G5" does it mean dual 2 ghz is dual prossesor, am i being tricked?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    It's a trick, get an axe!

If you paid for dual core, you got a dual core. If you didn't, someone took it from you in korea.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If you open it up and there are two gigantic heat sinks, it's probably not a dual-core.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iM-0N

how do i know that my pm is dual core? if i see the packaging yes.. its said dual core..but in the system profiler it is written " dual 2ghz power PC G5" does it mean dual 2 ghz is dual prossesor, am i being tricked?

Open Terminal, type this in and hit return:

sysctl -n hw.ncpu

Then as said above, open it up and see how many huge "G5" logos that you see.

P.S. If you were being "tricked", it would be a good thing, as each CPU would have its own 1 gHz bus.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    aww someone didn't appreciate my big-lebowski reference. Sorry if it offended anyone.

anyways, as for the previous poster: the dual cores seem to benchmark better than the dual single cores, so it would be a bad thing if he got 2x1 instead of 1x2.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    im-0nim-0n Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Open Terminal, type this in and hit return:

sysctl -n hw.ncpu

Then as said above, open it up and see how many huge "G5" logos that you see.

P.S. If you were being "tricked", it would be a good thing, as each CPU would have its own 1 gHz bus.

this is the results?

Last login: Sun Apr 9 12:38:30 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

raymonds-power-mac-g5:~ emon$ sysctl -n hw.ncpu

raymonds-power-mac-g5:~ emon$

what is it mean?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    That you have two cores.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Er, wouldn't the dual heatsinks mean that there were two processors, meaning in the case of the latest Powermacs, four cores?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    im-0nim-0n Posts: 47member
    raymonds-power-mac-g5:~ emon$ sysctl -n hw.ncpu

ahh, what i tryin to ask is this one..

huehehhe...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Er, wouldn't the dual heatsinks mean that there were two processors, meaning in the case of the latest Powermacs, four cores?

The original poster never said whether or not he had two heatsinks. That is of course the easiest way and gives the answer in about 1.5 seconds, but for some reason it never occurred to him, even after we told him.

Of course, he didn't understand what the "2" meant after the sysctl command either, so maybe we need to explain how to unlatch the side door...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The original poster never said whether or not he had two heatsinks. That is of course the easiest way and gives the answer in about 1.5 seconds, but for some reason it never occurred to him, even after we told him.

Of course, he didn't understand what the "2" meant after the sysctl command either, so maybe we need to explain how to unlatch the side door...

Does that still work? From the online pictures of the new duals and quads that I saw, it looked to me that they replaced the number of G5s with just one big G5. A more sure fire way would be to go to the Blue Apple menu and click "About This Mac". It will tell you.