Apple's Jobs delays trip to India

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs has postponed his first official visit to India until later this fall, a new report claims.

Jobs had been scheduled to make the rare trip to Asia this month in order to oversee the launch of the company's new R&D center and support facility in Bangalore.

Citing sources familiar with the company, CIOL said, "Recruitments for the Apple's R&D center and technical support facility are (still) going on. It might take some more time to complete this exercise."

Jobs is said to be keen on having the R&D center functional before he makes the trip, and now plans to visit the site in September.

Its been reported that the Apple chief, who is usually conservative in his travel plans, has visited only one other Asian country in his official capacity: Japan.

However, he reportedly admires India as one of the fast growing economies in the world and in the 1970's spent four years as a "hippie spiritual tourist" visiting holy places in the country.

Apple is expected to hire 3000 employees to staff the Bangalore facility by 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    i love it. "hippie spiritual tourist"

http://wired.com/news/technology/0,7...w=wn_tophead_1

lsd has been known to make some people weird. not that that's a bad thing.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

However, he reportedly admires India as one of the fast growing economies in the world and in the 1970's pent four years as a "hippie spiritual tourist" visiting holy places in the country.

I wonder if he ever met the Beatles while he was there? Maybe they took a bad trip together?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    This story came out on google news search like FOUR days ago. Does appleinsider and thinksecret have any reason to exist anymore?? Pointless..
  • Reply 4 of 38
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    <-- Living proof.

Quote:

Originally posted by sillycybin

lsd has been known to make some people weird.

• Reply 5 of 38
    I have heard about the R&D center in the past but something about it rubs me the wrong way.

Can Apple be considered an American company if it does its research in another country?The subject about jobs moving to india (no pun intended) is a topic thats been around for years at this point. My concern however is that this is a R&D facility not a tech support center or manufacturing facility. If they move R&D to India then should Apple's HQ be moved to India? Well it would make it easier for the executives to communicate with their innovators...

So why are they moving R&D there? I thought America was still the place to research technology, but apparently that isn't even going to happen here much longer. Apparently we specialize in nothing anymore and Europe should be worried as well. If asia is responsible for R&D, support, and manufacturing of goods then it seems the rest of the world is useless to this global multi-national economy.

So maybe people should be more concerned with the implications of moves like this and less concerned about the drugs Steve took in college. I'm not saying that outsourcing is a bad or good thing but if we outsource everything then that isn't specialization then is it? It goes beyond globalization.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Ah yes, the great North American obsession with job loss to other countries. It's no wonder it's easy to dupe the general population into wars when they feel it's them against the world.

On one hand we want to have ten times the purchasing power and consumptive capacity as a person living in China or India, and on the other hand we want all the products we purchase to be developed and produced here. You can't have it both ways...
  • Reply 7 of 38
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

I ... Apparently we specialize in nothing anymore and Europe should be worried as well. If asia is responsible for R&D, support, and manufacturing of goods then it seems the rest of the world is useless to this global multi-national economy...<snip>

So maybe people should be more concerned with the implications of moves like this ...<snip> but if we outsource everything then that isn't specialization then is it? It goes beyond globalization.

I concur. This is exactly why countries with previously strong manufacturing and research industries are now being turned into purely consumer markets.

Where once they had factories they now have shopping malls and the unemployment that goes with it. What do you say to someone who once built cars or computers and now has to stand behind a register in WalMart selling $1.99 tee shirts made in China?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

What do you say to someone who once built cars or computers and now has to stand behind a register in WalMart selling $1.99 tee shirts made in China?

I guess it was hard for the ruling class when feudalism and slavery was abandomed.

And you are not in a resession. If you are sorry for the WalMart worker load up some good old national redistribution of capital and the problem is solved.

Besides americans still have much higher chance of being able to afford a trip to China than the other way around.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McHuman

This story came out on google news search like FOUR days ago. Does appleinsider and thinksecret have any reason to exist anymore?? Pointless..

You're here aren't you?
  • Reply 10 of 38
    coxnvoxcoxnvox Posts: 50member
    Quote:

What do you say to someone who once built cars or computers and now has to stand behind a register in WalMart selling $1.99 tee shirts made in China?

How 'bout "You're richer than 99% of people in the world."

• Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

You say: it's the game of capitalism. Sorry you couldn't afford a decent education and have been too busy struggling to make ends meet ever since to analyze things and understand the root of the problem and believed that voting Republican/Conservative would somehow bring your job back.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    GODDAMN HIPPIES!!!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by coxnvox

How 'bout "You're richer than 99% of people in the world."

Not really... ever heard of relative economics? I would be willing to wager that, relative to the rest of the US/Canadian population, the average Wal-Mart employee (assuming they only work at Wal-Mart) is actually poorer than the average factory worker in China or India is relative to the rest of their population. Hence the need for people to work 2 or 3 of those types of jobs to get by here. No wager of course on who actually works more hours.

• Reply 14 of 38
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

You say: it's the game of capitalism. Sorry you couldn't afford a decent education and have been too busy struggling to make ends meet ever since to analyze things and understand the root of the problem and believed that voting Republican/Conservative would somehow bring your job back.

Conservative DOES NOT = Republican

Any more than Liberal = Democrat

These labels are getting old!

Before I get flamed I have Fiscal Conservative Views, and a Social Liberal Views.

I am neither a Republican nor Democrat.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

Conservative DOES NOT = Republican

Any more than Liberal = Democrat

These labels are getting old!

Sorry, I didn't mean to have this degenerate into a political flame war.

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to draw comparison between political parties, I was just trying to have the discussion apply to both Canadians and Americans in order to emphasize the point that governments have very little power over how multinational corporations operate. I was simply using the current governments in both countries as an example, not comparing the two parties.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

Not really... ever heard of relative economics? I would be willing to wager that, relative to the rest of the US/Canadian population, the average Wal-Mart employee (assuming they only work at Wal-Mart) is actually poorer than the average factory worker in China or India is relative to the rest of their population.

That doesn't compare the actual quality of life.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I concur. This is exactly why countries with previously strong manufacturing and research industries are now being turned into purely consumer markets.

I think that general idea is overstated. There is plenty of manufacturing and research. Right now, it's not as bad as people seem to think it is, but I do wonder about the next generation.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

That doesn't compare the actual quality of life.

Quality of life is also a very over-rated thing. I once met a man from a "third-world" country (as we like to put it). He had the one thing many people don't: satisfaction. He was satisfied with his life in a way I had never seen before. Everyone in the "first-world???" is overly concerned with getting ahead, not being satisfied with a two-year-old computer, blah blah blah. He had a family, he could read, but he lived without want.

Many in the west are driven by the same motivator behind a comical friend of ours, Calvin:

"Waste and want. That's my motto."
  • Reply 19 of 38
    look moving R&D overseas may mean that we get laid off some of the higher costs as consumers. So we could be looking at potentially, cheaper computers to compete with all the other PC makers out there.

India has always been a place hi tech companies head hunt. The training and education is so much better than ours that they get paid a hell of a lot to move out and come to the USA and work for massive companies. That way all thier income goes to the US anyay. At least this way they can make some money and help their country to develop so they have a fair playing feild with the bigger players.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Where once they had factories they now have shopping malls and the unemployment that goes with it. What do you say to someone who once built cars or computers and now has to stand behind a register in WalMart selling $1.99 tee shirts made in China?

If this bothers you and others you Americans should rally your government to give your companies the same tax breaks and other bonuses other countires are willing to give American companies.

That is why they're leaving your country makes it too expensive for them to do competitive business within your own nation.