Apple to ditch iBook brand alongside notebook launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's almost official -- Apple Computer will re-brand its iBook consumer notebooks under the "MacBook" moniker when it releases new models based on Intel Corp.'s Core Duo processors later this month, AppleInsider has learned.

The new portables, targeted at the consumer and education markets, will represent the most redesigned notebooks to emerge from Apple's famed industrial design studios in several years, sources have said.

True to speculation and hints offered by the company through recent trademark filings, Apple will call the notebooks MacBooks rather than iBooks.

Well-placed sources say the company has already started to prepare marketing materials that bear the MacBook product name. Any effort to change the name at this point in the product's development cycle would pose as an unnecessary inconvenience, they say.

The good news for Mac enthusiasts and prospective MacBook buyers is that they'll soon be able to place orders for the new notebooks. People often familiar with the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple's product roll-out plans say it is now up to company management to O.K. the MacBooks for manufacturing ramp. This decision, however, is highly contingent on a couple of factors, these people say.

Apple must first align an ample supply of components from its suppliers and then wait on the green light from its product marketing division, which is highly influential in setting precise product launch dates. Nevertheless, an announcement is expected sooner than later. Reports that have suggested Apple would not unveil its new consumer notebooks until June appear to be inaccurate.

Unlike Apple's entry-level Mac mini consumer desktops, which are available with either an Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processor, each MacBook is expected to pack at least a 1.67GHz Core Duo chip. The notebooks will be available in several configurations, each built around a vibrant 13-inch widescreen display.

Like Apple's MacBook Pro professional notebooks, the new consumer MacBooks are expected to sport a built-in iSight video camera, a MagSafe power adaptor and come bundled with Apple's Front Row and Photo Booth software applications.

Previous reports have also suggested the MacBook will boast some new proprietary Apple technology such as a completely magnetic latching system that will adhere the display module to the computer component without the need for a physical latching mechanism.

Alongside the MacBook, Apple is also expected to unveil its flagship 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebook, which has also recently been finalized.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 170
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    The is also an article posted on Think Secret:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604macbook.html

basically we've been waiting for how long now? when will it come out, May/June? when when when?

Both articles pretty much says it all, I think that the 13.3" is the way to go, but I'm not sure the entry one could be U$ 999 can it..?

• Reply 2 of 170
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Unlike Apple's entry-level Mac mini consumer desktops, which are available with either an Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processor, each MacBook is expected to pack at least a 1.67GHz Core Duo chip.

I don't know about this. I think we'll see a line-up similar to the mini: low end model with Solo, higher end model with Duo.
  • Reply 3 of 170
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

MacBook to land at last by May

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor

So are YOU Ryan Katz, Zenga? If not, you may want to post a link and add some of your own thoughts...so you don't violate the Posting Guidelines or anything.

• Reply 4 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I don't know about this. I think we'll see a line-up similar to the mini: low end model with Solo, higher end model with Duo.

i think we will see all duo, the core solo was a bit of a waste of time, no one really wants it.

I cant wait until the macbook line is complete
  • Reply 5 of 170
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

So are YOU Ryan Katz, Zenga? If not, you may want to post a link and add some of your own thoughts...so you don't violate the Posting Guidelines or anything.

sorry I forgot!

• Reply 6 of 170
    hopefully they make one with an x1600 for 1500!!
  • Reply 7 of 170
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Bring on the 17" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 170
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tensdanny38

hopefully they make one with an x1600 for 1500!!

I'm officially betting on the either the X700 or X1400. (Not really betting, but ... guessing...)

Anyway, looks like these will be great if all Duo, and the 17in MacBook Pro should offer workstation level graphics cards, that would be the thing that puts it over as the true king of notebooks.
  • Reply 8 of 170
    catman4d2catman4d2 Posts: 174member
    well damn...

why change it? they didnt change the imac name i like the ibook name, "imac" "ibook" apples most "personal" personal computers! oh well.... if someone says well its not really a mac,as some say about the "I" line at least you can say, it is, see! it says MACBOOK.

p.s. i hate losing an inch! sony has a 14 inch widescreen with a camera!!! dammit apple do the right thing.
  • Reply 10 of 170
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Does anyone know if intels virtualizattion technology require dual core chips? More specifically, would Parallels software work on a core solo macbook?
  • Reply 11 of 170
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Does anyone know if intels virtualizattion technology require dual core chips? More specifically, would Parallels software work on a core solo macbook?

It does and it wouldn´t.
  • Reply 12 of 170
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

well damn...

why change it? they didnt change the imac name i like the ibook name, "imac" "ibook" apples most "personal" personal computers! oh well.... if someone says well its not really a mac,as some say about the "I" line at least you can say, it is, see! it says MACBOOK.

p.s. i hate losing an inch! sony has a 14 inch widescreen with a camera!!! dammit apple do the right thing.

They want "mac" in the names of all of their computers. They didn't change the name of the iMac because "Mac" was already in the name so there wasn't really any reason to. Besides, what would they change it to? MacMac?
  • Reply 13 of 170
    saleskisaleski Posts: 17member
    I'm a bit confused now. How much wider will the new macbook be than the current 12" ibook ? I'm looking for a new small mac laptop. Should I buy a G4 12" powerbook instead. ?
  • Reply 14 of 170
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

It does and it wouldn´t.

Yet another reason to skip core solo.
  • Reply 15 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by saleski

I'm a bit confused now. How much wider will the new macbook be than the current 12" ibook ? I'm looking for a new small mac laptop. Should I buy a G4 12" powerbook instead. ?

it'll be thinner and the footprint will be smaller. widescreen dimensions greatly change the vertical requirement.
  • Reply 16 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

It does and it wouldn´t.

Um... from parallels.com

"Any Intel Powered Macintosh running OS X 10.4.4 or higher is compatible with Parallels Workstation 2.1."
  • Reply 17 of 170
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

well damn...

If you need that inch, get the 15 they're selling now. And "ibook" doesn't have "mac" in it. Already been discussed, end of story.

The big question here is solo or duo and what will the pricing be? I'd love to see $999 again, but can they do a duo at that price? Can't wait to hear the configs on these, we'll finally have a real comparison instead of MPB versus the cheapest low-end dell duo laptop.
  • Reply 18 of 170
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ATPTourFan

Um... from parallels.com

"Any Intel Powered Macintosh running OS X 10.4.4 or higher is compatible with Parallels Workstation 2.1."

And people have already reported running it on solo minis.
  • Reply 19 of 170
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ATPTourFan

Um... from parallels.com

Only his second post, and he's pulling out the "ummm" card on Anders!

Now it's on!
  • Reply 20 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Only his second post, and he's pulling out the "ummm" card on Anders!

Now it's on!

Ha... well I've been registered and posting at MacNN forums forever...

I had to set the man straight before he gets people worried that they can't virutalize with parralels' SW on a Solo.