DRM is wired into intel macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yes, folks it appears to be true.

Here is the link for more info!

an exerpt:

DRM protection and trusted computing enabling chip is found to be wired inside the new Intel-based Macs while no official statement, documentation or press release that tells consumers about its existence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And further down:

Quote:

What has this to do with Apple?

It's simple: it is not clear whether the newMacs with the Intel chip inside that are now on sale do have a TPM chip installed in them or not.

What?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And further down:

What?

....and further further down...

UPDATE - April 1st 2006

This is not an April Fool?s day hoax; yesterday I received the pictures of a iMac 1.83 monoprocessor's motherboard.

The images show a Infineon chip with the following code: SLB9635TT12 - G546K1V 00Za544257. This one could be the TPM chip: as it has been noted in the comments provide by my readers, the first line of the caption is like the one that was on the TPM Infineon chip installed on Intel Macs for developers.

I have also more detailed pictures of the motherboard: the complete image-set is accessible on Flickr. If anyone is capable to further identify the chip on the basis of these identification codes (Google does not reveal anything by searching for them), please post it in the comments.

• Reply 3 of 15
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

The images show a Infineon chip with the following code: SLB9635TT12 - G546K1V 00Za544257. This one could be the TPM chip: as it has been noted in the comments provide by my readers, the first line of the caption is like the one that was on the TPM Infineon chip installed on Intel Macs for developers.

now this is hardly suprising, is it?

maxxuss has commented how he 'disabled' the tpm in his osx86-hacks, so the presence of such a chip in the released machines was well known.

considering the direction itunes and apple in general seem to go, tpm is a must-have for future macs.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, it was on the Developer Platform P4 boxes and it's on the new Macs. Not particularly surprising.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    This is just to make sure Mac OS X (for Intel) is running on a Mac and not a non-Apple PC, right?

This doesn't have anything to do with music, am I right?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Yeah, it's supposed to make running OS X on a whitebox PC a complete and total pain in the ass.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

This doesn't have anything to do with music, am I right?

not yet, but it will in a not too distant future. (as commercial media content in general.)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    All your media are belong to us.

Make your time.

\
  • Reply 9 of 15
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    TPM has uses beyond DRM, including many benefits towards more secure computing.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Apple used the TPM for "boot DRM" and Maxxus cracked it. If Apple tries to use the TPM for music DRM, it will be cracked soon enough (imagine if Maxxus and DVD Jon joined forces). In theory TPMs can be used for uncrackable DRM, but I don't think anyone has actually made it work.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    My ass is also wired for DRM with the smelly farting platform chip!

Intel already tried it with the serial number in their PIIIs... it didn't work. Here we go again stepping on the same rake... people just never learn.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Apple used the TPM for "boot DRM" and Maxxus cracked it. If Apple tries to use the TPM for music DRM, it will be cracked soon enough (imagine if Maxxus and DVD Jon joined forces). In theory TPMs can be used for uncrackable DRM, but I don't think anyone has actually made it work.

i was actually quite suprised how weak the implementation was in macos x for intel.

maybe the didnt really try and is saving the effort for 10.5?

the xbox 360 was also (kinda) hacked recently in a almost silly way. i wonder if software/system designers put too much trust into that little chip?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Intel already tried it with the serial number in their PIIIs... it didn't work. Here we go again stepping on the same rake... people just never learn.

Yep. Like Steve told the music companies, "We have Ph.D.s here who know this stuff cold, and they say it can't be done."

No matter what chip you use, somewhere the OS has to have code to call into the chip. Find that code and no-op it, and that's all there is to it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Perhaps you should upgrade.

Garbage in ... Garbage out!

• Reply 15 of 15
    Bring on that paranoia!!!