The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Argh, I want it! The latest I heard was that it would likely ship, with the Conroe processor, in the third quarter of 2006. I'd guess that it would mirror the Powermac G5 introduction three years ago, where it's announced at WWDC and then the higher-end configurations start shipping en masse by November.

Has anybody heard any other interesting tidbits?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 946
    Conroe won't be shipping in volume until 2007.
  • Reply 2 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

Conroe won't be shipping in volume until 2007.

According to who?

http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk/RoadmapQ306.htm

is updated frequently and has Conroe shipping in Q2 2006. Merom seems to have been pushed to 2007 but that kind of makes sense since Intel is getting traction with Yonah. Why replace Yonah so fast?

I think Conroe is on target because Intel is already hyping it with benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2712

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

I expect Conroe Powermacs by Aug-Sept and Leopard to follow within the next 3 months.
  • Reply 3 of 946
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

[B]

Merom seems to have been pushed to 2007 but that kind of makes sense since Intel is getting traction with Yonah. Why replace Yonah so fast?

]

When did this happen? I'm trying to hold out for Merom and expected it this fall.
  • Reply 4 of 946
    Murch, I went the link you provided. It reports Merom rtm in september. Do you have other info on this?
  • Reply 5 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

When did this happen? I'm trying to hold out for Merom and expected it this fall.

Just rumors nothing official. Merom seems to be coming after Conroe however and Mikeshardware states Sept of this year. I think that's doable once they get Conroe shipping in quantity.

I want the prices of the Yonah chips to bottom out so I can upgrade my mini with a ICD 2.0Ghz. Gotta love socket upgrades.
  • Reply 6 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Argh, I want it! The latest I heard was that it would likely ship, with the Conroe processor, in the third quarter of 2006. I'd guess that it would mirror the Powermac G5 introduction three years ago, where it's announced at WWDC and then the higher-end configurations start shipping en masse by November.

Has anybody heard any other interesting tidbits?

Did boot camp change your mind about switching to a pc? Looks like an ideal solution for you.
  • Reply 7 of 946
    Quote:

Murch, I went the link you provided. It reports Merom rtm in september. Do you have other info on this?

Nada

I'm looking for it though but only a few rumor sites like The Register and another have mentioned anything about Merom delays. Once Merom comes I know it will begin to push the yonah prices down and in a couple of years I want to be able to upgrade my mini with a 2Ghz for a couple of c-notes.

Hell boot camp and virtualization is changing my mind. Right now Apple is in a fine position. They have computers that can run 3 major OS. I'll be extoling these virtues to people near me because Windows XP at native speeds and a safe refuge (OS X) in one box is killer.
  • Reply 8 of 946
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Woodcrest in June or July.

Conroe in August or September.

Merom in October.

So, looks like Pro Mac Desktop, err Mac Desktop Pro?, and Xserves will be announced during the August WWDC. 2 socket desktops from $2500 to $3300 using two 2.66 and 3 GHz Woodcrest CPUs (making it a "quad") on the Bensley platform (DIB and FB-DIMM memory). Single socket desktops from $1600 to $2200 using 2.4 and 2.66 GHz Conroe CPUs. Maybe.

Big question with the Extreme Edition chips though.
  • Reply 9 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Woodcrest in June or July.

Conroe in August or September.

Merom in October.

So, looks like Pro Mac Desktop, err Mac Desktop Pro?, and Xserves will be announced during the August WWDC. 2 socket desktops from $2500 to $3300 using two 2.66 and 3 GHz Woodcrest CPUs (making it a "quad") on the Bensley platform (DIB and FB-DIMM memory). Single socket desktops from $1600 to $2200 using 2.4 and 2.66 GHz Conroe CPUs. Maybe.

Big question with the Extreme Edition chips though.

They should find a place in their product line for Conroe. That's gonna be a good chip if early indications are acurate.
  • Reply 10 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Did boot camp change your mind about switching to a pc? Looks like an ideal solution for you.

Yes sir it did. This will be very nice indeed, provided that Apple supplies nice XP drivers for its videocards. I assume it'll just swap in the PC drivers, are the Mac cards any different from the PC ones now that the Intel switch happened?

I'll still have to pay a premium but by the sounds of it processors on the new Macs are upgradeable.
  • Reply 11 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

According to who?

Well, Conroe will be shipping in Q3 2006, but they won't be shipping in volume until late 2006/early 2007. a.k.a. Apple will have a hell of a time shipping computers out in volume. Want another MacBook Pro fiasco on a larger scale?
  • Reply 12 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Well, Conroe will be shipping in Q3 2006, but they won't be shipping in volume until late 2006/early 2007. a.k.a. Apple will have a hell of a time shipping computers out in volume. Want another MacBook Pro fiasco on a larger scale?

And what "MacBook Pro fiasco" was/is that?
  • Reply 13 of 946
    The one where you couldn't get one...
  • Reply 14 of 946
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Want another MacBook Pro fiasco on a larger scale?

The MacBook Pro was not a fiasco by any means, I'm not even aware of a major problem. The original Power Mac G4, now that was a *fiasco*.

When the MacBook Pro shipped, Apple upgraded people's machines with faster processors. The MacBook Pros were announced in January and shipping was to begin in February. They started shipping out on February 14th.

When the Power Mac G4s shipped, Apple downgraded people's machines with slower processors. The Power Macs were announced in late August and some did not ship for months. Some models used "Yikes" (modified G3) motherboards with PCI graphics while others used "Sawtooth" motherboards with AGP graphics. To make things worse, the "Yikes" motherboards were phased out in December when G4s had just started shipping in decent quantities, causing outrage among people who had just received their "Yikes" G4s that had been ordered in August.

Those few months were probably the worst for Apple since Jobs took the company back over in 1997.
  • Reply 15 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

The one where you couldn't get one...

You mean the one where it said that they'd be available in early February, and they ended up being available a single week later than previously stated, but at the same time, significantly upgraded, for no additional money?

Oh yeah, huge fiasco that is.

And surely it has to do with the Yonah, seeing as, uh, the iMac wasn't quite available, right? Only the trouble with that theory is: it was. Very widely available. Interationally. So even if there was a major delay with the MacBook Pro, it didn't have to do with Yonah at all.
  • Reply 16 of 946
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

There are many rumours that Intel might push Merom back to coincide with the Santa Rosa platform. Yonah is a very good chip in its own right and this gives them time to recoup more money from the development.

Quote:

What crap. It'll be available in volume for the likes of Dell et al to launch with around September/October. Pretty much right in line with announcement. There has been zero evidence of any delays. That said the Core chips won't comprise a large portion of Intel's shipments by year end but that's because they will start in the premium product lines and nothing to do with volumes and availabilities.
  • Reply 17 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The MacBook Pro was not a fiasco by any means, I'm not even aware of a major problem. The original Power Mac G4, now that was a *fiasco*.

When the MacBook Pro shipped, Apple upgraded people's machines with faster processors. The MacBook Pros were announced in January and shipping was to begin in February. They started shipping out on February 14th.

When the Power Mac G4s shipped, Apple downgraded people's machines with slower processors. The Power Macs were announced in late August and some did not ship for months. Some models used "Yikes" (modified G3) motherboards with PCI graphics while others used "Sawtooth" motherboards with AGP graphics. To make things worse, the "Yikes" motherboards were phased out in December when G4s had just started shipping in decent quantities, causing outrage among people who had just received their "Yikes" G4s that had been ordered in August.

Those few months were probably the worst for Apple since Jobs took the company back over in 1997.

Oh man, so that's why they called it "Yikes!". I had never heard the whole story.
  • Reply 18 of 946
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Oh man, so that's why they called it "Yikes!". I had never heard the whole story.

Well, the story was even worse:

Apple introduced a 400Mhz G4 Yikes, a 450Mhz and 500Mhz G4 Sawtooth in September 1999 and were forced to scale the speed back to 350Mhz, 400Mhz and 450Mhz a couple of weeks later because of an eratta in the 500Mhz G4's.

The first time Apple could actually deliver a 500Mhz G4 tower was 5 months later, in february 2000.

In january 2001 Apple was finally able to introduce G4's faster than 500Mhz.

I think this was, along with the introduction of the ill fated Cube and the Apple stock crash of september 2000 the blackest time after Steve Jobs return.
  • Reply 19 of 946
    I think it was pretty epic when it took Apple and IBM eight months to hike the G5 200MHz. And IBM was supposed to reduce all those Motorola delays and stagnant development. Hopefully those days are over with the Intel switch.

I personally think that they'll launch the new Mac Pro or whatever it's to be called at WWDC, and apparently UBS and another analyst share my opinion. (although analysts don't know much more than we do)
  • Reply 20 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

There are many rumours that Intel might push Merom back to coincide with the Santa Rosa platform. Yonah is a very good chip in its own right and this gives them time to recoup more money from the development.

What crap. It'll be available in volume for the likes of Dell et al to launch with around September/October. Pretty much right in line with announcement. There has been zero evidence of any delays. That said the Core chips won't comprise a large portion of Intel's shipments by year end but that's because they will start in the premium product lines and nothing to do with volumes and availabilities.

Yes ICD is very nice. This fall I'll just buy the best MBP for muy needs. Was kinda hoping for merom but ICD will do just fine. As far as Conroe, I hope and think it will rtm on time. As far as availability to Apple, they shopuld get first dibs along with dell since they are intel exclusive shops. Conroe looks like a fine chip but faces stiff competition from AMD. This may mute demand from Hp.