Traveling abroad with a laptop

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My parents are really nice, they're paying for me to study abroad in Florence this summer, and they're buying me a new MacBook Pro. Awesome, huh? But they won't let me take my new MBP with me to Italy.

I talked to the advisors at the university, and they all reccomended unanimously for me to bring my laptop, but my parents are still hesitant. Is it a good idea to bring it? If it is, what kind of things should I do to lessen the chances of it getting stolen? Does anyone have horror stories that will make me not want to go anywhere with my laptop? I figure people travel with laptops all the time, so it can't be that risky.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by david christ superstar

If it is, what kind of things should I do to lessen the chances of it getting stolen?

Cover the Apple Logo up with a Dell Logo Sticker...

If you do this and wear canadian flags on your stuff you will be much better off.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Buy an extra long Kensington lock and wear it around your ankle all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I studied in England, Scotland, and the Czech Republic with my powerbook a few summers ago.

Get a small backpack that you can take with you everywhere- that the powerbook fits into. I didn't have a problem "lugging" my powerbook around with me the whole time- knowing it wasn't going to get stolen because it was always with me.

Get a small digital camera to go in the same backpack(for the memories).

Get a Kensington lock for the times that you can't take it with you- like when you go to the bar, take the camera though.

Lock the laptop to something and then slide it into the bag- don't leave it sitting there as a target.

Also, when you sit down and chill out/eat/whatever and have the bag off of your back- put your foot through one of the straps. That way if someone tries to nab it- you'll feel it and it'll be attached.

My friends ALWAYS asked to put shit in my bag because I always had it with me- it came in very useful all the time. It did get annoying when people asked, but if it's small you won't be able to fit much into it- all of your stuff and none of theirs

As long as you're careful and aware of your surroundings you should be fine.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Thanks. I'll definitely get a Kinsington lock.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Does anyone know of a good theft-tracking program for Mac? Any good experiences with them?

The only one I know of is CompuTrace Lo Jack but it's only for Windows.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Oh yeah- and get this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAtR...page=6&t=t&f=b

Hah! That's so cool. I never thought of using the HD movement detection gyro for such things.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Whenever I'm outside the state if CA, I usually carry my laptop in a 2mm think titanium shell, handcuffed. The case includes a GPS tracker and a sattelite transimtter of its location that is tracked 24/7. The shell itself can survive a an AK-47 FMJ bullet at close range (a must anywhere east of Austria) as well as can survive 24 hours under an acetylene torch.

Of course the case is usually contained inside an armored Benz Maybach... and if the going really gets tough, a T-90 with the latest active armor and Arena protection system is called... not to mention full air support provided by a wing on KA-52 alligator gunships.

So as you see, you should always take reasonable steps to protect your investment.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    regreg Posts: 832member
    If your parents also have a mac and a high speed connection, then using ichat during the summer will save you big bucks on your phone bill. Going on travel and not having the camera and laptop to transfer / share pictures is unthinkable. You should be able to convince them that you will be seeing fantastic sights and need to save / share them. I lock up my laptop during the day while sightseeing and transfer all the pictures at night. Common sense will have you lock up your laptop in the dorm or where ever you are staying. If you don't, it won't matter where you are, it will walk away by itself.

reg
  • Reply 10 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I wouldn't take it. The alarm thingy is ok if your machine isn't off, which it will likely be when you're not with it. A lock is ok but bikes have been stolen with locks - you can pick locks or just use cutters to snip the wire. You also have to think about if you need a separate power supply (is magsafe universal?) and if you will actually use it that much while abroad. If you don't have broadband where you are going then you can't use it to call home. You will have to sort out decent travel insurance that covers damaged/lost property too.

For a Summer trip, I don't think it's worth the risk. If we are talking more than 2 months then possibly but I personally wouldn't take it.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

For a Summer trip, I don't think it's worth the risk. If we are talking more than 2 months then possibly but I personally wouldn't take it.

Then why even own a portable computer ? I go somewhere for 2 days and I take my pBook.

And yes, the Apple power supplies will work with 240volt power... you just need to buy the plug adapters for europe (to replace the 2-prong US plugs).... Apple sells them http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.25.7.11.1.3

If they won't let you take the MBP... mabe they'll get you a used iBook for cheap to take to Europe, then a MBP when you return.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    I've been to Italy for a week and Croatia for 3 weeks and France for 2 days with my 1.33 iBook G4(maxed out). no problems at all.. just keep ur eye on it.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    The risk of having your MBP stolen in the US is far, far higher than in Europe. I lived in Europe for two years and was stunned at how safe it was (until I came to Japan where crime is something that only happens in movies). Just use common sense and you will be fine. Only thing is make sure you get the proper power adapter.

I agree that having a good internet connection and the computer and a good camera will save you lots on phone bills and allow you to do wonders while you are there. Fro a good camera, I use a Canon S2 IS, which, tho not the smallest, is the most versitile I could find and it takes great picts. Another route might be the new Sony HD vid camera, but it is still a bit steep.

You can even document your entire stay. Throw in iWork and you can make really nice presentations and newsletters about your trip that will be priceless. Some of this work could actually then be used toards other course once you return States-side, if you get good profs.

Put your mind into it and you can really make the trip a life-long memory.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

Getting a cheap iBook for the trip might be a good idea, although I'm a little worried about the resale prices of it. I guess it wouldn't loose much value over a few months, but I've never sold any of my computers (including an old IBM PC-XT) so the concept of a temporary computer feels a little odd...

As far as cameras, I'm trying to get my parents to buy me a Canon EOS-20D. I'm a fine art photography major, and I've used that particular model before. Let me just say, it is one fine camera. I'm also looking forward to trying out Aperture; although I prefer traditional photography to digital, when I do shoot digital, editing through hundreds of photos is very time consuming.

I'm definitely going to convice my parents to let me take my laptop. I figure as long as I'm smarter than the dumbest person with a laptop, I'll probably be fine.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The only problem with the 20D is the startuo time. If there is a shot that needs to be taken, and it is in sleep mode, you still have to wait 4 or 5 seconds. That is how it use to be. I don't know if they have updated that since mine is 4 years old. That was the biggest reason that I went to the 10D.

reg
  • Reply 16 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Then why even own a portable computer ? I go somewhere for 2 days and I take my pBook.

I used to have a laptop and I'd take it with me in my own country but never abroad. It might be ok if you just make sure to have it with you at all times but what if you need to go in the sea or when you are on the plane and need to take a whizz? We're talking damage as well as theft.

If you have people you trust going with you that you can leave your machine with then it's probably ok. But picture the situation:

You are happily watching a DVD on your laptop on the plane. But what's this, some stupid kid pops up from the seat in front and spills his/her juice on your machine. What do you do?

That's one thing I hate about technology. A £2000 machine can be rendered useless by a kid and a 50p cup of juice. Why haven't they found a way to waterproof laptops yet?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

The only problem with the 20D is the startuo time. If there is a shot that needs to be taken, and it is in sleep mode, you still have to wait 4 or 5 seconds. That is how it use to be. I don't know if they have updated that since mine is 4 years old. That was the biggest reason that I went to the 10D.

reg

I used a new 20D several times about a month ago and I never noticed a problem with the start up time. I am generally photographing architecture and still lives, so the start up time usually isn't a major issue (although the one time you miss the decisive moment, that extra second or two becomes invaluable).
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

You are happily watching a DVD on your laptop on the plane. But what's this, some stupid kid pops up from the seat in front and spills his/her juice on your machine. What do you do?

Politely ask the parents of the improperly restrained kid (#@!* brat) for their name and phone number for which I can contact them for any possible repairs necessary?

I dunno. Clearly, the best I could do is to take them to small claims court, and if they're not of the same nationality as me I have no clue. They could very easily refuse to pay for it, or give me a phony number and that'd be the end of it.

I think this is a time where you'd just have to play the odds that kids are not that misbehaved very often, and if I'm particularly wary of rambunctious children, my risk of it is probably minimized.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    I travel a lot with my PB, not planes but car and train. Three years on the road and it has not been damaged by the travel. Laptops are designed to travel; get a good bag for it, maybe a hard briefcase just for the trip each way, and you will have no worries (be careful, of course).

When I first flew around the globe, I carried my Mac Plus with me through seven airports, three really crowded train stations and on a bus. It was in a backpack, stuffed in a towel. No kids. No juice. No nothing but a few looks at the airport security when I actually turned it on to show them that it worked and it spoke, "Hello." It worked fine for more than another decade, so I can safely say it survived the trip fine.

Just be careful and use common sense and all should be well.

You out-classed me on the camera, but I am just a materials writer, not a photographer. I needed something easy and good and not overly large. It does the trick for me and was inexpensive.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I don't have a choice as I travel overseas on business and have a PB just for travel.

The first thing I advise is to get travel insurance for it - if someone nicks it then you can get reimbursed. The deductible will probably be less than the cost of an old iBook. the important thing is to carry it in something that does NOT look like a laptop bag. The cheaper it looks the better.

iSight is fantastic. I have had an iSight chat with my wife from a hotel room in Korea and the 3 years old granddaughter kept sticking her face in the screen to say Hi! It's fantastic. (You can also make "iSight Movies" - not world class, but your parents won't care.)

Cameras? I just received a new Canon SD600. 6 Mpxs, about the size of a pack of cigs and a 2.5" LCD. You'll need the MPB with the large drive for the huge pic files - and the iSight movies.

(Widgets? Sunlit Earth is nice to have, Locker for security of data, World Clock - one for home and one for wherever you are. Actually going through the widgets you "might" use will consume a day of planning.)

Have a great trip!