iPhoto eating hard disk space?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a quesiton about iPhoto. I am looking under the various folder where it is located on the harddrive under pictures. Apparently, under pictures -->iPhoto Library are three separate folders, one is Date, one is Modified, and one is Originals, all with the same pictures in them! I'm trying to delete some photos to free up space, but it does not seem to have an effect. I will go into the library portion of iPhoto delete the photos, talking over 50 here, and no change in had disk space. Then I come across these three folders with identical pictures, that are not aliases. Thoughts? Can I safely remove any of the three folders I just listed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I would not advise messing around with iPhoto's database like that - you could get it out of sync with the XML index that it uses. Just do the maintenance from within iPhoto. iPhoto keeps all of the originals so that you can choose "Revert to Original" at any time.

The others are probably thumbnails.

Did you empty the trash after deleting stuff? It won't show a change in disk space until you do.