Briefly: Chili Peppers limited-edition iPod, Q2 earnings call

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is offering its iTunes music fans a chance to win a limited-edition Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod and also recently announced the date for its second quarter financial conference call.

RHCP Special Edition iPod

As part of its recently announced iTunes promotion with rock band The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Apple plans to dish out a limited-edition Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod, tipsters have noted.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers Promotion is a sweepstakes in which shoppers who pre-order the Red Hot Chili Peppers' new album "Stadium Arcadium" through the iTunes Music Store between 9:00 p.m. (PDT) on April 3, 2006 to 8:59 p.m. (PDT) on May 8, 2006, will be eligible to win a 60 GB iPod with the Band?s signatures and logo engraved on the back.

The band and iTunes have also teamed up with Ticketmaster to offer a special concert ticket pre-sale for their upcoming North American tour.

Apple has posted the official contest rules to its Web site.

Apple sets earnings date

Meanwhile, Apple this weekend announced it will hold its Q2 conference call webcast discussing Q2 - 2006 financial results at 2pm PT/5pm ET on Wednesday, April 19, 2006.

The company will release the results just prior to the call. Analyst are expecting the Mac and iPod maker to post earnings of around 44 cents a share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Here's my dream:

1. Apple gets the balance of major star hold-outs

2. Apple gets 10's of thousands of music videos and artists are making a fortune off of them from a revenue stream they never dreamed of making money at.

3. Apple wins the suit against Apple Corps.

Then the Beatles are left out in the cold. Yeah, go ahead and do a deal with Real, or even worse, Microsoft. They'll look like the out-of-touch dinosaurs they have become.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yeah, I noticed the RHCP iPod notes a few days ago. I wondered it could be - I just ordered the album on the US iTunes store (using http://giftme.tv's iTMS cards as it isn't available in the UK store)...

iTunes sure is lapping up these lagging artists. I hope Radiohead isn't too far away....
  • Reply 3 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amsterdam33

Yeah, I noticed the RHCP iPod notes a few days ago. I wondered it could be - I just ordered the album on the US iTunes store (using http://giftme.tv's iTMS cards as it isn't available in the UK store)...

iTunes sure is lapping up these lagging artists. I hope Radiohead isn't too far away....

Thom Yorke said he didn't want to sell his songs individually - his band relies on album sales and it's about the experience of the album. I think he's just worried everyone will buy Creep without getting Pablo Honey! I do tend to agree with him though - i love albums - so much better than the individual singles. And personally i;d never buy an album through the iTMS as the quality is too low and as I have a radio show which requires CDs.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

And personally i;d never buy an album through the iTMS as the quality is too low and as I have a radio show which requires CDs.

Not to stomp on your parade, but songs purchased from the ITMS would work perfectly fine for your radio show, whether played directly from your iPod or burned to CD with iTunes. Between all the processing done to the audio before it reaches the transmitter, and the reduced fidelity of FM radio, no one listening will be able to tell the difference between ITMS music, and a CD. Believe me, I know from experience and from testing for several years now in the non-commercial radio industry.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by taugust04

Not to stomp on your parade, but songs purchased from the ITMS would work perfectly fine for your radio show, whether played directly from your iPod or burned to CD with iTunes. Between all the processing done to the audio before it reaches the transmitter, and the reduced fidelity of FM radio, no one listening will be able to tell the difference between ITMS music, and a CD. Believe me, I know from experience and from testing for several years now in the non-commercial radio industry.

I am aware of this but it's time consuming having to burn CDs although I do agree that my listeners will not be able to tell the difference between the quality. It's nice to be able to grab a CD or lend some music to a friend and i don't want to pay almost the same price for a lower quality version of a song - obviously lots of people disagree with me as we can see from the sheer volume of album sales.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Man I sure hope they will be selling a 60gb Chili Peppers iPod version commercially in the very near future cause I need to get a bigger one than my 3g 20 gb and am very willing to hold out for a Peppers pod.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Thom Yorke said he didn't want to sell his songs individually - his band relies on album sales and it's about the experience of the album. I think he's just worried everyone will buy Creep without getting Pablo Honey! I do tend to agree with him though - i love albums - so much better than the individual singles. And personally i;d never buy an album through the iTMS as the quality is too low and as I have a radio show which requires CDs.

The Peppers said the same thing about selling their songs individually. You can always buy the singles as they are released. What's killing us Peppers fans is how iTunes rereleased some older cds of the Peppers with unreleasesd songs on each. But you can't buy the songs by themselves. So you'll have to buy another copy of a cd you already own in order to get the unreleased songs on each. That sucks!!!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4metta

The Peppers said the same thing about selling their songs individually. You can always buy the singles as they are released. What's killing us Peppers fans is how iTunes rereleased some older cds of the Peppers with unreleasesd songs on each. But you can't buy the songs by themselves. So you'll have to buy another copy of a cd you already own in order to get the unreleased songs on each. That sucks!!!

It's blackmail! Well there's an easy solution - when companies piss you off - resort to piracy!