Need a screenshot of Power Management pane in Tiger

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I didn't really know where to post this.

Ok, I have a sort of odd request. I am doing a comparison between OS X and XP's power management abilities on my website.

I got most of the section completed except for the part discussing OS X's UPS support. I don't own a UPS so I can't access the UPS pane in System Preferences under Power Management. I have asked others and have got no luck.

I have some screenshots, but they are from Panther. I need some of the preference pane in Tiger.

Can anyone here help me?

Edit: I am looking for screenshots of the UPS pane within Power Management under System Preferences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Did you meen these?

- Noah
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Not exactly. I am looking for screenshots of the UPS pane within Power Management under System Preferences. You need a UPS plugged into your Mac for this tab to appear. Sadly I don't have a UPS so I can access this menu to get a screenshot of it.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. When I get the comparison up and running, I will place a link for you guys to check it out.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    If you are doing a comparison, I would also like to see the 'schedual' page, don't know if would also help, but it is an option...

- Noah
  • Reply 6 of 22
    The schedule page just gives you the option to start up the computer at a specific time. It does not change in the UPS window vs. Power Adapter window.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Ohh, thanks for clearing that up. I do not have a UPS, so I figured it might be different.

- Noah
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I already have OS X's schedule abilities covered that in the section.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I am sorry, but I need some more screenshots. I need one of the 'Sleep' and 'Options' tab under UPS.

Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    They are also the same. The only difference in adding a UPS is the USP tab. Nothing else.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Oh I see.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

There must be a logic explanation, but why would you need the ability to shut down your computer when it is on UPS power? Wouldn´t it be more useful to let it go to sleep when, say, there is 50% juice left in the UPS?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Sleep still uses a little power. If my power is out for 4 days, like it was in January, my computer would run out and crash or whatever.

Shutting down is safer under these unusual situations.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've never seen any of the UPS options and its cool to see this stuff here. Thanks for posting the screenshots! Makes me want to run out and get a UPS for my G5. The power in my 1920s apartment is notoriously flakey and sometimes we'll blow a fuse because someone upstairs in the apartment above is cooking dinner.

Any UPS recommendations?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    UPSs are rated in VAs (Volt Amps I think) 300VA is small, 600VA is medium, 1000VA is big and 1500VA is usually overkill.

A G5 sucks a lot of power, so I don't recommend anything less than 900VA. I personally have a APC BackUPS 1500 (1500VA) system, but have a Dual G5, 22" screen, external drives, a RAID5 system, and cable modem/networking gear, and a projector all hooked up to the battery. I also run a scanner, 2 printers, speakers, and other gadgets through the surge protection half. I run this battery backup at a good 90% capacity and it works great. Only overloaded twice, when I turned everything on at once. (My bad.)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Interesting. How quiet do the UPS units run? Sounds like something I could tuck off to the side and plug most of my gear in.

The APC configurator thinks I can get away with the 800 VA model, but I'm not quite sold. (APC Back-UPS RS 800VA 120V Black) I just recalculated it and it thinks that will be fine with my current 20" screen as well as a 23" upgrade.

I have a rev A dual G5 2 GHz with 20" Apple display (ADC). My RAM is almost maxed and I have two internal SATA drives. I've also upgraded to an X800 graphics card. I'd probably also plug in a handful of extras like my Epson inkjet printer, SoundSticks, my mouse, a scanner, and two USB hubs. (Actually, the scanner might be bus powered, I don't remember.) Anyhow, I have a decent amount of gear, but no RAID and most of my networking gear is on another circuit on the other side of the room.

Thoughts? You seem to have a pretty good handle on this stuff as well as a decent set of gear.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Sleep still uses a little power. If my power is out for 4 days, like it was in January, my computer would run out and crash or whatever.

Shutting down is safer under these unusual situations.

Those setting only make sense if you are not around the computer (or in the location of it) when the power goes, right?

If so shutting down will yield the same result as crashing the computer, right? Non saved data will be lost. Putting the computer to sleep will protect the data for longer. And a laptop can sleep for weeks on battery...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    In Panther, you could configure the OS X to run a shell script when the UPS had so many minutes left of power. We covered this before in an earlier comparison. DId they remove this feature in Tiger?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Interesting. How quiet do the UPS units run?

They are nearly silent until the power goes out. Than the fans kick. Compared to your G5 fans at their highest settings, it would be 70-80% as much noise. You will know it is on.

The most annoying part is the beeps. Just in case you didn't know the power is out, it will beep 3 times like every 30 seconds. Annoying as hell. Some UPS's allow you to turn off the beeping like my brother's belkin model. When our power goes out, a field of electronic crickets lays siege to our house.

Quote:

The APC configurator thinks I can get away with the 800 VA model

At a bare minimum, you probably could, but the extra power means your computer will stay on longer in a power outage. Giving you more time to save, quit and shut down. Keep in mind you will have this UPS for a long time and it will need to handle any additions you purchase in the future. Better safe than sorry. (If you can afford it)
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Ok, thanks Ebby for the advice. I'll look in to it some more and do some price comparisons and whatnot. This isn't a mission critical thing, but sounds like a fairly inexpensive safeguard. I'm more concerned about avoiding damage to my drives, components, and data loss versus having enough uptime to save my work. As long as I have 10 minutes or so I should be fine. The one upside of having enough headroom is that maybe I can get my building manager to put a new fuse in before the system has to shutdown, but that's just a luxury.

Anyhow, you gotta love tax writeoffs, which is one more reason I'm considering it to begin with.