System Preferences Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I opened System Preferences today and suddenly there was an icon in the hardware section called 'Ink'. I have never installed 'Ink' or any other related driver and would like to now how to remove it. It would not bother me if you can resize the System Preferences window, but now I kind of have an entirely extra line taken up by one item do to it. This may be a silly thing to get upset over, but, I just don't like it there. Any method of removing it is welcomed.

- Noah

PS: The control-click option does not work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Did you recently install a tablet of some kind? Ink is part of OS X, but I'm guessing it doesn't show up in the prefs of machines without some sort of input device that can take advantage of it. (I've got it in the sys. prefs of my tower, which has a tablet attached, but not here on my daughter's iBook, which does not haave a tablet attached.)

I don't reccommend it, but if you really must throw it away, it's in /System/Library/PreferencePanes

Edit: PS. The control-cick option for what?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    No I did not install a tablet, and the contol-click is just to get the 'remove' option. Someone else asked a question similar, but it was a custom-added pref-pane. Thanks for the reply, I plan on upgrading my computer, and I don't have a tablet, so it shouldn't matter if I delete it.

- Noah
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

No I did not install a tablet, and the contol-click is just to get the 'remove' option. Someone else asked a question similar, but it was a custom-added pref-pane. Thanks for the reply, I plan on upgrading my computer, and I don't have a tablet, so it shouldn't matter if I delete it.

- Noah

You could just move it to somewhere else instead of deleting it if you think you'll ever have a use for it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

You could just move it to somewhere else instead of deleting it if you think you'll ever have a use for it.

Thats what I did.

Thanks a bunch for the help

- Noah
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The "Ink" preference pane only shows when the system auto-detects a tablet. If you have no tablet plugged into your computer, you might have some other USB device that confuses the system and makes it think it's a tablet.

AFAIK there's no way to force the "Ink" preference to show if there's no tablet plugged into the computer.

No fix, just an explanation.