Apple readies new hardware serial number format

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With unit sales at all-time highs, Apple Computer next month will roll out a revised serial number format for its hardware products that the company says will lend better support for continued growth and scalability.

Under the new format, all "finished goods" such as Macs, iPods and accessories, will be stamped with a serial number consisting of 18 numeric digits. Presently, Apple uses an 11-character alphanumeric scheme.

The new format will reportedly extend to AppleCare Protection Plans and AppleCare Support IDs, but not to software products.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple began informing its service partners of the change in January, asking them to update their own in-house computer systems so that they can be ready to begin servicing products using the new format in May.

As part of the change, the company will also debut new subassembly serial numbers for components such as optical drives, logic boards, and wireless kits. Similarly, these items are slated to move from a 12-character alphanumeric serial format to a 17-character alphanumeric scheme.

At this time, Apple service providers that rely on bar code scanning will also need to make sure they're using the Barcode 128 standard or an equivalent, the company also warned. Barcode 128 is a barcode standard based on high-density linear symbology that can encode text, numbers, several functions and the entire 128 character ASCII character set.

In addition to supporting the new serial format, Apple also requires that service providers support the old 11 alphanumeric character serial numbers in their systems for a period of at least five years.

For the average customer, the change in serial number formats will be transparent. However, those die-hard Apple fans responsible for breaking down the company's current serial format will now need to go to work in order to make sense of the new 18 digit serials.

Currently, there are a handful of scripts on the internet that when fed with an Apple hardware serial number will return a list of details, such as the name and model of the product the serial belongs to, the date it was manufactured, and the precise location of the factory that built it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

For what it's worth the one good thing I see coming from this is that now It will be easier to give the serial number of a Mac over the phone!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Somebody please put me on a drip.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

For what it's worth the one good thing I see coming from this is that now It will be easier to give the serial number of a Mac over the phone!

surely more difficult as it's longer?! \
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

surely more difficult as it's longer?! \

Not if you are punching it in using the phone keypad... I believe it could also result in more accurate voice recognition on an automated phone system since there are less variables to differentiate between.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    This is big Big BIG NEWS!!!!

Wow, a new serial number format!!! I also heard that the stickers they use to keep the little plastic packages that hold the manuals and registration cards are being changed to a different formula adhesive!! Oh, and Steve Jobs just bought a new watch!!!

:d
  • Reply 6 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

This is big Big BIG NEWS!!!!

Wow, a new serial number format!!! I also heard that the stickers they use to keep the little plastic packages that hold the manuals and registration cards are being changed to a different formula adhesive!! Oh, and Steve Jobs just bought a new watch!!!

If you don't give a shit about the news, don't read it. It's that simple.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCentric

Not if you are punching it in using the phone keypad... I believe it could also result in more accurate voice recognition on an automated phone system since there are less variables to differentiate between.

That's true. But, as it's much longer, it's also more likely that you will make a mistake when reading it.

Most companies use alphanumeric serial numbers. They can be much shorter, while at the same time being much more secure. A letter gives 26 choices per space, vs 10 for numeric. 26 x 26 x 26 x26 =456,976 choices, vs 10,000 for 10 x 10 x 10 x 10.

Sheesh, even phones have letters on the keyboard.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Sheesh, even phones have letters on the keyboard.

From what I've heard, lots of phones in Europe actually don't have letters on the keyboards.

• Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

From what I've heard, lots of phones in Europe actually don't have letters on the keyboards.

Thats only on stationary phones. We dont use the ####SOMENAME over here.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

With unit sales at all-time highs, Apple Computer next month will roll out a revised serial number format for its hardware products that the company says will lend better support for continued growth and scalability.

Under the new format, all "finished goods" such as Macs, iPods and accessories, will be stamped with a serial number consisting of 18 numeric digits. Presently, Apple uses an 11-character alphanumeric scheme.

The new format will reportedly extend to AppleCare Protection Plans and AppleCare Support IDs, but not to software products.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple began informing its service partners of the change in January, asking them to update their own in-house computer systems so that they can be ready to begin servicing products using the new format in May.

As part of the change, the company will also debut new subassembly serial numbers for components such as optical drives, logic boards, and wireless kits. Similarly, these items are slated to move from a 12-character alphanumeric serial format to a 17-character alphanumeric scheme.

At this time, Apple service providers that rely on bar code scanning will also need to make sure they're using the Barcode 128 standard or an equivalent, the company also warned. Barcode 128 is a barcode standard based on high-density linear symbology that can encode text, numbers, several functions and the entire 128 character ASCII character set.

In addition to supporting the new serial format, Apple also requires that service providers support the old 11 alphanumeric character serial numbers in their systems for a period of at least five years.

For the average customer, the change in serial number formats will be transparent. However, those die-hard Apple fans responsible for breaking down the company's current serial format will now need to go to work in order to make sense of the new 18 digit serials.

Currently, there are a handful of scripts on the internet that when fed with an Apple hardware serial number will return a list of details, such as the name and model of the product the serial belongs to, the date it was manufactured, and the precise location of the factory that built it.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Obviously I must now cancel my order for a 2 GHz Core Duo iMac with 2 Gigs RAM, 500 Gig HD, and 256 Meg Vid Card Upgrade (plus Wireless keyboard and mouse) so I can be certain to get one with an 18 digit serial number.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Thats only on stationary phones. We dont use the ####SOMENAME over here.

It's tough to do texting without letters.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

Obviously I must now cancel my order for a 2 GHz Core Duo iMac with 2 Gigs RAM, 500 Gig HD, and 256 Meg Vid Card Upgrade (plus Wireless keyboard and mouse) so I can be certain to get one with an 18 digit serial number.

• Reply 13 of 33
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Hardware hint? No new hardware until May? I think as much as you are all laughing about this story, it could be revealing about when will next see a hardware update from Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Hardware hint? No new hardware until May? I think as much as you are all laughing about this story, it could be revealing about when will next see a hardware update from Apple.

Supposedly, they can announce in April, for delivery in May. That's not unusual.

We expect some products late April, at NAB.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Holy Sheet. I better buy some apple stock NOW, this is exactly what Apple needed to dominate the industry.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Holy Sheet. I better buy some apple stock NOW, this is exactly what Apple needed to dominate the industry.

Wow, you've got that whole irony thing down pat!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I'm only posting this so this thread keeps getting bumped to the top. That way others will think, "Wow, I never thought a thread on serial numbers could be interesting--I better check it out to see what fascinating stuff is being posted there." (Like I did.) \

Literary aside: I now think I understand the suckers who got conned by the king and the duke in Huckleberry Finn. They know they got conned at the show, but instead of going after the con-artists, they tell everyone else in the town that the show was great--so they aren't the only ones who get conned.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Let's see Windblows match this...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

If you don't give a shit about the news, don't read it. It's that simple.

Serial numbers isn't news. It isn't even a fluff piece. It's trumping up some irrelevant trivia at best.

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Supposedly, they can announce in April, for delivery in May. That's not unusual.

We expect some products late April, at NAB.

Is anyone here going to NAB? I thought about going for business reasons but I'm not up to it quite yet.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

I'm only posting this so this thread keeps getting bumped to the top. That way others will think, "Wow, I never thought a thread on serial numbers could be interesting--I better check it out to see what fascinating stuff is being posted there." (Like I did.) \

Literary aside: I now think I understand the suckers who got conned by the king and the duke in Huckleberry Finn. They know they got conned at the show, but instead of going after the con-artists, they tell everyone else in the town that the show was great--so they aren't the only ones who get conned.

And the point to this post was...