Removing Vocals from songs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone know of any mac software that can remove the vocal track (the person singing) from a song. I would like to do this so that i can create kareoke (sp?) songs. If anyone knows how to do this or any software that does (preferably mac os x) that would be great, thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Download Audion 2.6.1 either from versiontracker or Panic.com. Audion comes with a plug-in called, appropiately enough, Kareoke which will strip vocals from mp3s. Audion has a trial period so you can see for yourself if it is what you were looking for.

Gino J. Piazza
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Remember, the audio on (most) CDs and MP3s does not actually carry the vocals in a separate track. Tools such as Audion, XMMS, SoundJam, and Amazing X simply use filters to try to neutralize frequencies that voices normally occupy.

Sometimes they work well, but sometimes they actually can have the reverse effect, leaving the vocals while eliminating the background music.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    A Parametric EQ might do a similiar job. That's all the audion probably does is cut the vocal ranges.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I think using a manually configured parametric EQ might be worse, since you'd be blocking out a big chunk of the vocal spectrum [roughly 1khz - 8khz], which will also block out background instruments/etc.etc.

I would say, since the main focus isn't keen on the quality of sound, is to just use one of the above mentioned programs to do it automatically for you. If you want it done perfectly, well, that's impossible
  • Reply 5 of 7
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Oh how I love this question. Working in a recording studio, we got it all the time. You CAN NOT remove vocals from a final mix. Period. Any plugins, etc. simply work by filtering out the predominate vocal range frequencies. What you are left with is a horrible sounding track with vocal remnants. If that is alright with you, cool. But if you want kareoke, just find some actual kareoke tracks, they will be much more rewarding.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>I think using a manually configured parametric EQ might be worse, since you'd be blocking out a big chunk of the vocal spectrum [roughly 1khz - 8khz], which will also block out background instruments/etc.etc.

I would say, since the main focus isn't keen on the quality of sound, is to just use one of the above mentioned programs to do it automatically for you. If you want it done perfectly, well, that's impossible </strong><hr></blockquote>

A Parametric EQ is a close as you're going to get. Plus Vocals are all recorded differently...Chorusing or doubling mayb be used and other methods which would make if difficult. I haven't heard a program that even remotely impressed me about removing vocals..but then again considering how difficult it is..I'm not suprised.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    <a href="http://www.soundjam.com"; target="_blank">Soundjam</a>, upon which iTunes is based, had a "karaoke" feature. It worked pretty well on some tunes, pretty bad on others. You can download a trial version.