Export to quicktime for the web...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm trying to export a short film i did in Final Cut Pro to Quicktime on the web.

But I know out there there are people who have older versions of QT and when I exported b4 they only got audio with no video..

So, what do I do?

What do I export to?

I never seem to do it the same every time.

It's a 7 minute short film and I want to keep it under 10MB if possible...

Is there anyplace I can find answers??

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Hello,

I'm trying to export a short film i did in Final Cut Pro to Quicktime on the web.

But I know out there there are people who have older versions of QT and when I exported b4 they only got audio with no video..

So, what do I do?

What do I export to?

I never seem to do it the same every time.

It's a 7 minute short film and I want to keep it under 10MB if possible...

Is there anyplace I can find answers??

Thanks...

You can use the older mpeg-4 codec. That was available in Quicktime 6. If you want to appeal to more people than that, try Sorenson 3. Sorenson 3 was used by pros (like Pixar - albeit the pro version of Sorenson) for ages for online content and I think Apple used to use it for their trailers.

To keep it under 10MB might be tricky but you just have to adjust your quality settings. For online content, you can sometimes get away with bitrates as low as 20-30k.

You can set bitrate manually in Quicktime but I find that using the slider gives better quality. Possibly it uses variable bitrate with the slider I'm not sure. Try Sorenson 3 at medium quality and see what size/quality you get. If it's not that good then you will probably just have to tell people to upgrade their quicktime and use H264 for encoding.