Virtual PC with bootcamp?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there any way I can use the copy of Windows XP Professional that came with Virtual PC? I don't fancy buying another copy or stealing one from the internet.

I think I know the answer to this one already.

Cheers, Michael.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I wouldn't think so. When operating systems are installed, they detect the hardware and configure properly for it. The bundled OSs that come with VPC are standard Windows installations that are configured to run with the emulated hardware.

The only way I could see to try it would be if you could mount your VPC drive image and then clone it to a Windows partition. I don't know if bootcamp would even recognise that as a valid bootable drive though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VF208

Is there any way I can use the copy of Windows XP Professional that came with Virtual PC? I don't fancy buying another copy or stealing one from the internet.

Cheers, Michael.

VPC used to use standard vanilla off-the-shelf Windows boxed disks.

Has this changed since MS bought Connectix?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

VPC used to use standard vanilla off-the-shelf Windows boxed disks.

Has this changed since MS bought Connectix?

I can't say if the change started with Microsoft, but VPC 7 w/Windows XP SP2 does a unified installation from two CDs. You do not get the OS in generic packaging.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    vf208vf208 Posts: 49member
    Thanks for the replies.

It would be nice if Microsoft would release an update that would enable those of us who forked out for VPC to use the discs with bootcamp.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VF208

Cheers, Michael.

Technically no. Since that version of XP is tied to only one computer (VPC).

With that being said, you can make a copy of the Windows folder (C\Windows or what ever) slipstream it and make it bootable. It is not that straight forward, but it should work.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Technically no. Since that version of XP is tied to only one computer (VPC).

Techically you should be able to use the copy of XP that comes with VPC since you purchase the right to use it,no?! VPC isn't a computer, it's software.