DO NOT DICONNECT!!! ...what happens?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
you know when you have your ipod plugged into your computer and it says DO NOT DISCONNECT!!! well i have had to do it with my mini before (nothing happened...knock on wood) and i got a new one today and i had to do it a couple times...well what happens if you disconnect when it says dont? hopefully nothing will happen ...(im knocking on some more wood)lol

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You can knock all you want, but that's a really bad thing to do. It can (will, eventually) corrupt the hard drive, requiring a reformatting. Ta-da, you just lost everything on it.

The iPod is just a hard drive volume - when it says not to disconnect, it's because the computer is using it. You just need to unmount (eject) it like any other drive you connect to your computer.

Why do you think you 'have' to do this?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    m_shellm_shell Posts: 30member
    it wouldnt show up in my itunes...it was like "no ipod connected" ...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m_shell

it wouldnt show up in my itunes...it was like "no ipod connected" ...

Well, that could be due to disk corruption in the first place, due to yanking the plug.

Does it show up in the Finder at all?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    m_shellm_shell Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well, that could be due to disk corruption in the first place, due to yanking the plug.

Does it show up in the Finder at all?

wait whats the finder? ha ha.

when i plug it in, it doesnt show up in my itunes (no ipod window area thing pops up) and if you go prefreces and to ipod it says "no ipod connected"...its probably something weird with my messed up computer...anyways i got to recgonize my ipod and its loading songs right now...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    no, its probably a pretty common bug. My computer(s) are pristine and I get this. I posted something similar:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=62805
  • Reply 6 of 6
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    This was a consistent problem for me too.