Apple holds meeting after making little girl cry

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer recently held a meeting to discuss changes to its corporate policy after the company sent an upsetting legalese reply to a third-grade girl who had hand-written a letter to chief executive Steve Jobs with her thoughts on improving the iPod.

When 9-year-old Shea O'Gorman and her third-grade class began learning about writing business and formal letters, she thought who better to write to than the chief executive of the company that makes her iPod nano.

In her letter to Mr. Jobs, little Shea offered her ideas on how the company could improve on its iPod digital music players, such as adding song lyrics so listeners can sing along to their tunes.

After waiting nearly three months, Shea finally received a reply from Apple's Cupertino, Calif.-based headquarters, and the entire family gathered around to read it.

To the dismay of Shea and her family, the letter wasn't from Mr. Jobs. It was from Mark Aaker, Senior Council of the company's Law Department, telling the third-grader that Apple doesnt accept unsolicited ideas, so she should not send them her suggestions and if she wants to know why, she could read their legal policy posted on the Internet.

"She was very upset, and kinda threw the letter up in the air and ran in her room and slammed her door," the girl's mother told CBS 5 News.

Of course, Apple's policy was instated to protect the company -- and anyone who submits ideas to the company -- from ending up in a costly legal spat if similar ideas are ever adopted into future Apple products. However, you'd think the handwriting of a 9-year-old may have drawn company's lighter side.

Apple reportedly decline to comment on the mishap, but the company's General Counsel placed a personal call to Shea to apologize following a CBS 5 News inquiry.

It was also reported that Apple held a meeting this past Wednesday in which it discussed ways that it could amend its corporate policy when dealing with children.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    You know, around 3rd or 4th grade I did the same thing, got a similar reply from Hasbro, and not only did I not cry somehow I understood the situation (my guess is my parents had a strong hand in that). I'm not feeling terribly sorry for the little girl, other than maybe because her parents aren't doing their job.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    oh freakin waaah.

send a letter to a multi billion dollar corporation and expect a form letter for pete's sake. good time for the parents to teach the kid a lesson on how the world works. instead she continues to get her tantrums solved.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You'd think maybe the teacher could attach a generic letter to each one saying, "I am _____ a third-grade teacher at ____ school. The attached is a letter from my student written as part of a project. Thank you for your time."
  • Reply 4 of 105
    jfwjxnjfwjxn Posts: 1member
    I'm going to guess the reason for the policy is to prevent people from claiming that Apple stole their ideas. Someone could write to Apple offering suggestions, which may already be in the works or planned, and then when the product is unveiled with said suggestions the letter writer claims that he or she came up with the idea and demands compensation.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jfwjxn

I'm going to guess the reason for the policy is to prevent people from claiming that Apple stole their ideas. Someone could write to Apple offering suggestions, which may already be in the works or planned, and then when the product is unveiled with said suggestions the letter writer claims that he or she came up with the idea and demands compensation.

Bingo! That's the first thing I thought when I heard what happened. I suppose that's one of the few minuses for such a secret company. Having said that the reply letter was unacceptable, and more businesses need to practice subtlety when dealing with kids! That kid had nothing but good intentions and was only try to help apple, because she loves their product, the iPod. So basically they should have wrote back in a language a child could understand. Fair dues to them for changing their policies though. I couldn't see Microsoft doing that! Then again, what kid is going to write to Microsoft.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    still, she is only very young. they should at least take more time to see who a letter is from and write a letter back based on it or not write one at all.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    This seems to show that Apple cares.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    jasongjasong Posts: 31member
    What's next? Stories about random Apple employees kicking puppies? Seriously, what does this have to do with anything?
  • Reply 9 of 105
    This seems to show that people have nothing else to complain about and CBS 5 News had a slow news day.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

This seems to show that people have nothing else to complain about and CBS 5 News had a slow news day.

Agreed.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I think the headline should read:

High fives all around.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Did AI get this off Crazy Apple Rumors?
  • Reply 13 of 105
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

I think the headline should read:

High fives all around.

I like that
  • Reply 14 of 105
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

oh freakin waaah.

send a letter to a multi billion dollar corporation and expect a form letter for pete's sake. good time for the parents to teach the kid a lesson on how the world works. instead she continues to get her tantrums solved.

There was a time when corporations used to pride themselves on being good citizens. After all, they are real entities under law.

Times have definantly changed. It's not so disturbing that corporations have become money grubbing, hate filled entities. The disturbing part is that people seem to be applauding this change.

Yes, I'm old. The world seemed to work better in those days.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasong

What's next? Stories about random Apple employees kicking puppies? Seriously, what does this have to do with anything?

hmmm, kicking puppies.

Sorry, we can't accept unsolicited suggestions on future puppy kicking products and/or services.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    This family is no doubt the same kind of family that demands children receive trophys for competition no matter if they win or loose.

Its this PC bullcrap that's destroying the foundation which this country was built apon. Any parent of a kid realize that this wasn't a personal attack on their precious little brat but a generic form letter from some faceless entity.

I mean, seriously, is it that slow a flipping news day that we spend ANY time on this whatsoever!!
  • Reply 17 of 105
    Damn, that little bitch stole my idea.....
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by kresh

Times have definantly changed. It's not so disturbing that corporations have become money grubbing, hate filled entities.

How does Apple qualify as a "money grubbing, hate filled entity" for simply having to comply with real-world legal demands? How naive of you.

The funny part of all this is that the bloody nano DOES have lyric capability our little waif suggested to Mr. "Money Grubbing" Jobs.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    She needs to get over it, good god it must've been a slow news day. I think we've all written seemingly important letters when younger (mine was to PBS) and gotten a legal, vacant response. This girl needs to get over it, if that's her biggest dissapointment in her life thus far then she's gotten off to an excellent start.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    What's the point of posting this story AI? To show us what lame society we are turning into where our kids have no concept of reality?