real world macbook pro/G5 comparison

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I currently have a Dual Processor G5 and I'm considering a move to Macbook Pro.

Does anyone know how the two compare on the following benchmarks, which I call my "real world" tests:

1. Speed of start up from "power on" to "ready to use"?

2. Speed of loading applications such as Aperture, Photoshop, Final Cut?

3. Speed of an intense rendering in Final Cut, or an intense filter in Photoshop

4. Speed of duplicating or transfering, say, a 1GB file on the hard drive

I hate to give up my G5, but I need as much physical space in my apartment as possible...and whenever I upgrade, I prefer to see improvements in these benchmarks...I've never switched from a desktop to a laptop, so I wonder if the hard drive is slower and if that will make a big difference in the performance.

Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AugustWest

Hi all,

I currently have a Dual Processor G5 and I'm considering a move to Macbook Pro.

Does anyone know how the two compare on the following benchmarks, which I call my "real world" tests:

1. Speed of start up from "power on" to "ready to use"?

2. Speed of loading applications such as Aperture, Photoshop, Final Cut?

3. Speed of an intense rendering in Final Cut, or an intense filter in Photoshop

4. Speed of duplicating or transfering, say, a 1GB file on the hard drive

I hate to give up my G5, but I need as much physical space in my apartment as possible...and whenever I upgrade, I prefer to see improvements in these benchmarks...I've never switched from a desktop to a laptop, so I wonder if the hard drive is slower and if that will make a big difference in the performance.

Any advice?

See link below for comps. Doesn't have the specific apps you mentioned but benchmarks may be helpful.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...rk45/index.php
  • Reply 2 of 7
    i guess it matters greatly whether you are conducting tests using rosetta or applications that are running native to intel core duo...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If it's any help, I'm a professional video editor and I'm selling my Quad and doing all my work on my MBP.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Speaker

If it's any help, I'm a professional video editor and I'm selling my Quad and doing all my work on my MBP.

Wow. And you don't find it slow rendering? I assume you use external scratch drives? I've only used Final Cut Express, so maybe that's the problem, but I recently completed a short (9 minute) film, and every time I change a letter in the credit sequence at the end it takes FOREVER to render again with my G5 Dualie. I'm a little worried about how MBP will perform...

Thanks for the comments.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I used to have a Dual 2.0 and now have a Quad 2.5 I also have a 1.83 MBP w/ 2GB RAM and a 100Gb 7200RPM HD. Using apples included applications, I think the powermac is by far faster.

The MacBookPro boot is a heck of a lot fast that the Quad. The powermac takes over a minute to come up, the MBP does it in or under 30 seconds.

Since adobe applications (I use photoshop, dreamweaver, and flash mostly) aren't universal they are much slower on the MBP.

As an example, using iPhoto's export feature. 150 photes being resizes to 640 x 480 takes about 30 seconds on my powermac, but a minute and half to two minutes on the MBP.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

As an example, using iPhoto's export feature. 150 photes being resizes to 640 x 480 takes about 30 seconds on my powermac, but a minute and half to two minutes on the MBP.

Ummm.... iPhoto is universal...

My 2¢, the dual/quad G5 and its succesor will always be faster than their laptop counterparts. I would not sell a dual/quad PM to be replaced with even a maxed out MBP if I did heavy video work. This is not my area of expertise, but wouldn't a desktop with either the same amount of cores, or double the cores which are bothed clocked higher than its laptop counterpart be faster in CPU intensive tasks, and for video, the GPU is underclocked in the MBP, making it worse for video, while its desktop counterpart is/can be [over]clocked higher

Anyway, the current version of Adobe/Macromedia/Office/etc... only works natovely on PPC, and all upcoming versions will work equally on both PPC and Intel.

Correct me if I am wrong,

Noah
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I know iPhoto is universal, that is why I used it as an example. Of course applications are going to be slower when running through rosetta.

I was showing that the same applications running natively on both machines runs faster on one versus the other.

Upcoming versions might not be out until next year. I might have a new computer by that time. You need to think about what you need to do right now.