Pains in Parallels.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sharing files with Windows in Parallels with the Mac is a RIGHT mission... Anyone got a good map I can use or some tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Well, its fairly simple in Beta3. There are 2 ways to do it. You can turn on Windows file sharing and connect to the Mac from the WinXP image or share a folder on XP and connect to it from the Mac.

I chose to share a folder (or drive) on XP and share it to the Mac. The reason I did this is that this way XP does not have access to anything on my Mac, so I am protected from any damage from a bad virus. I also didn't want to enable Windows sharing on my Mac by default since I don't need this for anything else. In either case, the VM had to be running for file sharing to work.

Now, how to set it up.

1) Load Parallels virtual machine. Be sure your network is enabled and the "Cable is connected" in the VM setup screen.

2) I shared a folder called Temp on my XP image. You can share a folder or the entire C drive. You must set up a new share in XP.

3) Go to your XP control panel and load Network. Find the IP address of your virtual workstation.

4) Click on your Mac desktop. Hit Cmd-K.

5) In the Server Address window, type in "smb://win.XP.IP.Address/SharedDrive" where the "win.XP.IP.Address is the IP address of your XP image you obtained by looking at the network settings and the "SharedDrive" is the name of the share you created. You can also click the "+" button to add this address to your list of Favorites.

6) When the authorization dialog shows up, enter the UserID and Password of that you have for your WinXP session, then check "Use Keychain".

7) You shared directory will then be mounted on your desktop and the window will open. Copy away just as you would with any other network drive. When you are done, eject the shared drive.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    No drag and drop from one to the other as in VPC?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah really. You should be able to just drag something to the Desktop either way.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

Anyone got a good map I can use.....

Arghhh, a treasure map

It's a joke, don't be upset. Laugh and you'll reduce your stress.