Display won't go into standby

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a brand spankin' new G5 tower (which replaced the 5 year old iMac), and life is good save for one little problem.

I got a ViewSonic VX2025wm to go with it, and I cannot get the display to switch to standby mode when the power management wants to turn it off. Instead of politely switching the display off the monitor cycles through a frustrating "no signal" message.

When I manually put the computer to sleep (via Apple Menu->Sleep) the monitor happily goes into standby, exactly how I expected it.

Anyone know what I can do to have the display switch off when the power management "turn display off after..." condition is met?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Is that setting maybe on the display itself? I have two crappy Benq displays attached to a G5 and they display the no signal message for a little while and then go to sleep.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Fuzzymonk, I'm having the exact same problem on my Mac Pro. Did you ever find out what was causing the problem? Did Viewsonic give you a firmware update or something?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Sorry Trav,

I love the monitor but i got to turn it off by hand other wise it just does its cycle thing.

Please let me know if you figure any thing out.

-Chris
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Damn. I was hoping you had found a workaround. The strange thing is that this is really the only post or mention of this problem that I have found anywhere. That makes me feel like it's not that common, and therefore can't just be a compatability issue with the G5 or the Mac Pro...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I too had (have) this same exact problem. In fact, it was such an annoyance (among a couple dead pixels too) that I received an RMA from Viewsonic and exchanged my display for a new one.

Fortunately, this display I am working on now does not have any dead pixels, but the sleep issue is still present. I hadn't even bothered to look for any threads/discussions online, because I figured it was just a buggy display - it never happened with my old Sony.

I still have yet to figure out a solution (if any) for this, but if you do, definitely post it here.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's just a display specific thing. Some displays are designed to go into standby when no sync signal is present, after some preassigned period. Some aren't.

If there isn't any way to set that as a preference on the display, then you have one that doesn't.