What's missing from Xserve...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When Apple announced Xserve, they said that they would be listening to their customers to find out what they should be doing to make their system better. Aren't most of these customers use to having journaling file systems?

I was just thinking that since Palm bought Be and Palm doesn't really need a journaling filing system. Apple could probably strike a nice deal with Palm. After all, Apple probably has a lot of older programming techniques and code base from the days of the 68000 series processors that Palm might just find useful for their dragonball processor.

[quote] I should have mentioned that Apple also has a old Quazi journaling file system from the days of the Lisa <hr></blockquote>

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: Plague Bearer ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Most of these customers are probably used to UFS/FFS w/soft updates, but journalling FSes? Not really.

There are big debates on journaling vs soft updates...

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I thought XFS was open anyway? Or is it an open "standard" and not source?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>I thought XFS was open anyway? Or is it an open "standard" and not source?</strong><hr></blockquote>

XFS is Opensource Scott. This is such a tired arguement. When Be was being developed I remember reading something from an Apple Engineer that highlighted some of the reasons why Apple had not jumped on the JFS bandwagon. For some reason users keep harping on this but honestly despite the Mac OS' lack of JFS I have NEVER lost any data from computer because of a power outage. Sure I'd like JFS but it's nothing to lament.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    XFS is open source but Apple can't use it for licensing reasons.

hmurchison: The point of journaling is to boot faster. The other day my Mac locked up so I rebooted and it took over 10 minutes longer than usual. If that was a server I wouldn't have been happy about that extra downtime.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

XFS is Opensource Scott. This is such a tired arguement. When Be was being developed I remember reading something from an Apple Engineer that highlighted some of the reasons why Apple had not jumped on the JFS bandwagon. For some reason users keep harping on this but honestly despite the Mac OS' lack of JFS I have NEVER lost any data from computer because of a power outage. Sure I'd like JFS but it's nothing to lament.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you do know there are other advantages right

• Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

you do know there are other advantages right

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Applenut ...please let me know these other advantages as they obviously aren't clear to me.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

Applenut ...please let me know these other advantages as they obviously aren't clear to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

someone knows more than me but I know a JFS

1.) does not require a file system check after a crash.

2.) has better data integrity

3/) can be faster because it can optimize hard drive head motion