screen spanning

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone. This is my first post here so forgive me if I posted in the wrong thread. I have a question and hope someone could help me.

I have a 2 computer setup both running under one monitor with a kvm switch.

One is PC running xp and the other is powermac g5 osx 10.4.6.

Here is my question. I would like to be able to add another monitor (ilo 15" LCD Monitor with DVI input) next to other monitor and use screen spanning with my mac. Is this possible? if yes what do I need to get , in addtion to the monitor, cable-wise and adapters so that I can keep the switch for both mac and pc?

Please advise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macuser74

Hi everyone. This is my first post here so forgive me if I posted in the wrong thread. I have a question and hope someone could help me.

Here is my question. I would like to be able to add another monitor (ilo 15" LCD Monitor with DVI input) next to other monitor and use screen spanning with my mac. Is this possible? if yes what do I need to get , in addtion to the monitor, cable-wise and adapters so that I can keep the switch for both mac and pc?

Please advise.

Seems to me that you'll just need another switch, or one that supports dual monitors. The G5 definitely supports screen spanning, which you'll be able to configure in system preferences under "Displays".

[Oh, and for future reference, this is probably best suited for the current hardware forum. ]
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macuser74

Please advise.

I have this setup at work...

The G5 drives two monitors in span mode....

I switch the Wintel to the main monitor with the KVM....

The OS X desktop still appears on the other screen.

I have a third Wintel PC on my desk that I control via Microsoft's Remote Desktop Controller.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True

You can run it full screen or in Windowed mode and do away with the switch entirely. All sounds play through the Mac. You can select which monitor the XP machine appears on, main or secondary...

Apple+H hides it like any other app getting it out of the way.