New design for the Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The problem most people seem to have with the Mighty Mouse is the touch sensitive buttons. But how else could Apple have introduced 3 buttons without dividing the top shell?

Well, the Mighty Mouse single click works by the top of the mouse bending forward. So couldn't they have just made the top of the mouse swivel in three directions instead of one?

It could rock left and right on an axis pointing down the mouse and forwards on an axis going across it.

I think they should make the side buttons individual too so you don't have to squeeze the mouse. That way you get 5 buttons.

Another issue people seem to have is the little ball not being very reliable. But I remember using a Mini PC laptop and instead of a trackpad, it had a very small touch sensitive button in the middle of the keyboard and it worked quite well.

With consistent buttons and a reliable multi-directional touch pad, I think the Mighty Mouse would be much better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The right and left click buttons, aren't touch sensitive, they do tilt when you press them. I do however agree it needs some attention. It's not perfect, but if anyone can make it so it's apple. A touch sensitive track stripe in the middle of the mouse would eliminate the need for the scroll-ball, and that would be great. The scroll-ball works great, but after a while it starts to seize up.

So to address the scroll-ball issue, the invisible track-stripe going down the centre of the mouse would be pure class. Imagine looks like a plain white mouse but yet apple tells us it's the New Mighty Mouse. What's new you'd say? Where the scroll-ball gone? That's what's new! When browsing the web you simply rub your finger down the center of the of the mouse and like magic it just scrolls. It's the simple things.

So then with the side buttons and the right and left click there could be subtle refinements. Like positioning of the side buttons etc.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's form over function though. It's not WYSWIG: what you see is what you get. Hard to understand for newbs.

However I am glad Apple finally dropped the retarded one-button mouse thing.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That's form over function though. It's not WYSWIG: what you see is what you get. Hard to understand for newbs.

However I am glad Apple finally dropped the retarded one-button mouse thing.

I disagree respectfully. I think in this case, as is the case with the iPod, it's the function that gives the form.

Ask yourself, what's more minimal: The 3rd Gen iPod or the 5th?

The 5th is more minimal.

But which is easier to navigate? The more minimal one.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I disagree respectfully. I think in this case, as is the case with the iPod, it's the function that gives the form.

Ask yourself, what's more minimal: The 3rd Gen iPod or the 5th?

The 5th is more minimal.

But which is easier to navigate? The more minimal one.

iPod controls aren't the same as computer controls. Besides, how minimal an interface is doesn't matter if the control sensing doesn't work properly, as the mighty mouse controls don't.

BTW: I think the 4G control is better because the buttons are easier to push and oddly, a more positive feel.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The right and left click buttons, aren't touch sensitive, they do tilt when you press them.

The right and left buttons aren't touch sensitive, but "tilt" isn't how it detects where the pressure is.

If you see the tear-downs, the mighty mouse uses capacitive sensing, there are large circuit pads on the underside of the top shell. I don't even need need my finger to touch the left side when I press the right button for the computer to think I pressed the left button. My finger only needs to hover very close (1mm) and it gets a false button sense as if I did click the left button when the pressure really came from the left side of the mouse. I think it is a microcontroller logic problem because there is no way to swap the sensing for right handed use as a two or three button mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Apple should cut their losses and divide the friggin case.

If they can't perfect the "1 button illusion" then forget it, give people something that works.

I'm sick of waiting for them to fix the mighty mouse and make a bluetooth version so I'm looking into getting this now:

http://www.chwangyi.com/main_ca.html

Sorry apple, you dropped the ball on this one, you took too long to deliever me a BT 2 button mouse, and your mighty mouse just isn't good enough to tide me over.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Apple should cut their losses and divide the friggin case.

If they can't perfect the "1 button illusion" then forget it, give people something that works.

I'm sick of waiting for them to fix the mighty mouse and make a bluetooth version so I'm looking into getting this now:

http://www.chwangyi.com/main_ca.html

Sorry apple, you dropped the ball on this one, you took too long to deliever me a BT 2 button mouse, and your mighty mouse just isn't good enough to tide me over.

Have yet to hear a SINGLE good review of that mouse. Everyone I've heard says it feels extremely cheap, and that it has terrible BT lag issues.

- Xidius
  • Reply 8 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What in the world are those little nubbins sticking up in front of the scroll wheel?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Way to make Jack Campbell proud.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

What in the world are those little nubbins sticking up in front of the scroll wheel?

Those 'nubbins' are actually part of the clear top shell. They act upon inner contacts when you click either side (button) of the mouse.

I think Apple need to re-evaluate the Mighty Mouse design as so many seem to be having issues with the scroll ball.

For now I shall be sticking with my Logitech MX510. Great mouse.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    my mighty mouse bal has gotten gummed up 3 times. however, instead of going out and byuing a new one like most people, I pressed down very firmly on it, rolled it around, and it worked just fine after that.

Bought one the day they came out, still going strong.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    3rd gen ipod makes baby jesus cry. i always disliked those 4 buttons at the top. simple is better. that ipod was just jonathan ive trying to be fancy with backlit buttons.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

my mighty mouse bal has gotten gummed up 3 times. however, instead of going out and byuing a new one like most people, I pressed down very firmly on it, rolled it around, and it worked just fine after that.

Bought one the day they came out, still going strong.

I said the same thing. But last night the ball got stuck, and I've lint-free cloths handy. It still took me ages to get the thing fixed though. It was frustrating as hell. This shouldn't need to fixed the whole time. Simply put, the design is flawed and can be a pain in the ass. Come on apple, sort it out!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

I said the same thing. But last night the ball got stuck, and I've lint-free cloths handy. It still took me ages to get the thing fixed though. It was frustrating as hell. This shouldn't need to fixed the whole time. Simply put, the design is flawed and can be a pain in the ass. Come on apple, sort it out!

Yeah...ideally the ball shouldn't be mechanical at all and work somewhat similar to the iPod's wheel.

Dunno how much more expensive the mouse would be with a solid state nipple that you can stroke to get the same effect as rolling a ball though...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yeah...ideally the ball shouldn't be mechanical at all and work somewhat similar to the iPod's wheel.

Dunno how much more expensive the mouse would be with a solid state nipple that you can stroke to get the same effect as rolling a ball though...

Agree 100%

If you could rub the mouse and scrolling happened without the need for a scroll-ball that would be ideal (no dirt or grease could jam it).

They could have a slight depression the same depth of the apple symbol on the Mighty-mouse. Say a circular or oval sheape right where the scroll-ball is that would act like a tiny touch-pad used for scrolling.