MBP Apple Keyboard Update 1.0 Makes Buzzing Worse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My MBP now buzzes even in closed-lid mode (didn't before), the Mirror Widget trick has been compromised (has to be left open to work, which it didn't before), my AirPort has become totally unreliable, and now my fans are louder.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS UPDATE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Works fine on my iMac.

Boy, those MBPs are just full of little problems. Heat. Noise. Apple charges a lot of dosh for a machine that exhibits those problems. Having discovered the joy of an almost silent PC with my Intel iMac, I will never tolerate another noisy PC in my house.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

Works fine on my iMac.

Boy, those MBPs are just full of little problems. Heat. Noise. Apple charges a lot of dosh for a machine that exhibits those problems. Having discovered the joy of an almost silent PC with my Intel iMac, I will never tolerate another noisy PC in my house.

If you'd have read my post clearly, you'd realize that the problem is with the update Apple released, not the machine itself. My MBP is not noisy, and it is degrees cooler than my PowerBook was when used on my lap in battery savings mode. It's the best Apple portable -- no, best computer I have every owned.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Works fine on my iMac.

That said, I'm surprised that you had the update show up on your iMac. I thought this was an MBP-specific update. How very odd.

Do you have an Intel iMac? Maybe this is an Intel-specific update...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

If you'd have read my post clearly, you'd realize that the problem is with the update Apple released, not the machine itself. My MBP is not noisy, and it is degrees cooler than my PowerBook was when used on my lap in battery savings mode. It's the best Apple portable -- no, best computer I have every owned.

I still think that MBP owners have reported a lot of problems that I would find very annoying if I had plunked down $2,000+
  • Reply 5 of 13
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    Anyone elese who has the same problem with the update?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

That said, I'm surprised that you had the update show up on your iMac. I thought this was an MBP-specific update. How very odd.

Do you have an Intel iMac? Maybe this is an Intel-specific update...

It is indeed an Intel-specific update. Notice that its sizes differ; it's significantly smaller for the MBP than for the iMac.

Contrary to your experiences, I've actually seen a very positive report over this update fixing someone's MBP AirPort issues.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

I still think that MBP owners have reported a lot of problems that I would find very annoying if I had plunked down $2,000+

I *am* an MBP owner. Most of the reported issues (LCD backlight buzz, crazy heat, borked speakers) affected early machines, and have been fixed in shipping revisions, and will be fixed at no charge on the affected models.

My MBP, in my opinion, has been worth every penny.

Quote:

Originally posted by chucker

It is indeed an Intel-specific update. Notice that its sizes differ; it's significantly smaller for the MBP than for the iMac.

Contrary to your experiences, I've actually seen a very positive report over this update fixing someone's MBP AirPort issues.

I can't but be confused about this update. I thought it addressed potential issues with the MBP's built-in USB keyboard and trackpad... but if the iMacs (and, assumably, minis) are getting it, too, then surely it must be for something else. Keyboard and mouse availability/behavior in EFI applications and during boot, perhaps? Very curious. I couldn't find a technote detailing *what* the update does, specifically... have you seen any?

I'm also surprised about the positive report. Where have you seen it? On the forum that shall not be named?

Chances are the update did not bork my AirPort and did not fix this other person's, either... I doubt they're related. Then again... My buzzing behavior has definitely changed. So... since the buzzing has to do with power savings... perhaps the update deals with power consumption with the built-in keyboard? But that would be superfluous with the iMac's external keyboard.

I'm just very confused. o_0
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Keyboard and mouse availability/behavior in EFI applications and during boot, perhaps?

Can't be. The update replaces a kext; EFI is on a much lower level than kexts.

What confuses me the most is why the update apparently relates to AirPort.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Can't be. The update replaces a kext; EFI is on a much lower level than kexts.

What confuses me the most is why the update apparently relates to AirPort.

Well, since it replaces a USB kext... and iSight is attached using USB... It must address USB powerdraw, amongst other things. If AirPort is attached via internal USB as well, then that would explain how it might impact AirPort.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Works fine on my iMac.

... Having discovered the joy of an almost silent PC with my Intel iMac, I will never tolerate another noisy PC in my house.

On that last point I am in total agreement netdog! That's why I'm still enjoying my G4^3s The fans should not be whirring away. I was a little shocked when my G4 20" didn't make any real noise either and I wanted to bring it home from the office, but decided to leave well enough alone.

I'm now on the road with only a G4 (rev.1) Al book maxed out, but it is going fine. When I get back to base camp I'll look at the new laptops.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Well, since it replaces a USB kext... and iSight is attached using USB... It must address USB powerdraw, amongst other things. If AirPort is attached via internal USB as well, then that would explain how it might impact AirPort.

I incorrectly recalled that the kext had "HID" in its name, in which case only HID devices (i.e., keyboard, mouse, etc., but certainly not iSight and AirPort) would be affected. But seeing as the kext is not HID-specific, it makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    My early Intel iMac wireless keyboard was disconnecting on a fairly regular basis and had a range of about 1.5 feet before. I always thought that this was either some kind of bluetooth issue of a defective keyboard.

Since this update, I can take my keyboard across the room and use it, and it hasn't dropped connection yet.

Has anyone else had an improvement like this?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

My early Intel iMac wireless keyboard was disconnecting on a fairly regular basis and had a range of about 1.5 feet before. I always thought that this was either some kind of bluetooth issue of a defective keyboard.

Since this update, I can take my keyboard across the room and use it, and it hasn't dropped connection yet.

Has anyone else had an improvement like this?

Very interesting. Why doesn't Apple specify that this update is for Bluetooth peripherals? I haven't experienced any change in keyboard behavior with the update myself, nor have I heard of anyone else noticing any change -- you are the first.