MBP Heat issue - Looks like Apple is using too much thermal paste.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Thank god for the goons.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    There is no way that I am opening up a macbook after I buy it - I just upgraded the drive in my G4 mini, and I am sure that I took a few years off the life of the plastic parts by doing it, and I lost a couple of the screws.

I was waiting until Janruary anyway, hopefully all the issues will be worked out by then.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    nar1117nar1117 Posts: 18member
    thats just a bit extreme for me...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quality Control at its best.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    first microsoft with the 360 now us with the MBP.

seriously, if this isnt' an isolated incident apple has a serious problem here.

i need to test my machine for heat issues now

UGH i hate being an early adopter.

anyone know a good test?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    I went to the local Apple store to check out the MBP. It was the first revision. It had the whining sound, and it was REALLY hot. It had Safari and mail running. So no CPU/GPU demanding tasks.

I felt on the top where the CPU, GPU and Northbridge is located. The GPU wich is in the middle i think, was extremeley hot. And the whole case was uncomfortable to touch when typing.

I then went to another store that sells apple computers, and they had what the guy in the store said to be a revision 4 MPB. I listened closley and I heard no whine, and it didnt feel anywhere near as warm as the first revision.

Is this problem fixed with the latest versions or what? Or is it 50/50 that you get a crappy one with whine and heat problems?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Is the Whine and the Heat related somehow or are they separate issues? What do you all think?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Originally posted by e1618978

There is no way that I am opening up a macbook after I buy it - I just upgraded the drive in my G4 mini, and I am sure that I took a few years off the life of the plastic parts by doing it, and I lost a couple of the screws.....

I modded in a 5400rpm drive into my iBook g4 933mhz and also wound up with some extra screws, the left speaker died, and the ports of the left have some plastic edge that doesn't quite sit flush. But it's Snaptastic with the faster drive and meh... the 3 year AppleCare ends this November.

There is something wrong with the USB ports (doesn't work properly with my Canon scanner -- it did work last month but now no dice) but the iBook is too valuable in its daily use that there's no point taking it in to AppleCare.

Plus the modem was busted (before I did all the mods) and they refused to fix it, saying it was "burn effect" from lightning although we clearly never used the iBook laptop during a lightning storm/heavy rain... WTF

Taking apart an Apple laptop I would say, definitely requires skillz to get it done right and end up with exactly the right number of screws ie. not one more nor one more less.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Is the Whine and the Heat related somehow or are they separate issues? What do you all think?

no
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    hopefully apple is paying attention to what users are finding and yelling at the manufacturers to fix what they're doing and to follow the users lead as to how much thermal paste...cause if they can get such a significant drop in temperature, they'd have a lot more happy customers
  • Reply 11 of 23
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

no

He means "no, they are not related"

Computers should not whine, even if they're too hot; even if that heat is caused by a defect.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Any idea what's causing the whine issue? We seem to have got the heat issue sorted out, now let's work on the whine issue..! Modders start your engines and rip apart those whiny MacbookPros and report back to us
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

I just got my MBP and I noticed the heat, almost burns my hand when I touch it, BUT I don't know what this whine thing is...mine's pretty quiet. Maybe it's because I haven't used it for much other than internet and excel/pdf/word stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    to those who have a macbook pro and have had a powerbook...how is it compared to the whisper of a powerbook? (i mean when not making the whine)
  • Reply 15 of 23
    With the Titanium G4 and Alu 15" G4 I've had I don't recall any heat or whine issues. Only with the Titanium G4 you had to put a piece of cloth to prevent the dreaded "keyboard marks" on the screen.

Hope you Macbook Pro people eventually get your heat/whine issues sorted out \
  • Reply 16 of 23
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Any idea what's causing the whine issue? We seem to have got the heat issue sorted out, now let's work on the whine issue..! Modders start your engines and rip apart those whiny MacbookPros and report back to us

The whine sound is caused by the power supply. The Intel chip is always looking to minimize power consumption when on battery power. Because of this, the power level is constantly changing, which causes extra work for the power supply.

Somehow the changing power levels causes the whining sound. The whining sound goes away when raising the CPU work levels because the power supply requests stay at the same level (high).

This is why opening programs and such cause the whine to go away. This is also why the whine happens more frequently on battery power. While plugged in, the CPU doesn't have to try and be so power efficient so it isn't constantly trying to power down.

I found a website that went into the technical details behind this whining phenomenon but I don't have that link available anymore.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The whine sound is caused by the power supply. The Intel chip is always looking to minimize power consumption when on battery power. Because of this, the power level is constantly changing, which causes extra work for the power supply.

The fans probably spin extra fast because the RPM is measured by average.. thus it immediately thinks the average is way low and tries to offset it. I bet if you got the thing real hot, the whine would be constant.

Otherwise, I have no idea.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    But if the whining is coming from the power supply then that has nothing to do with the fans right?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    It has nothing to do with the fans. It's an electronic noise caused by a voltage transformation. Keeping the CPUs just busy enough to stay out of their deepest sleep mode prevents them from running at the noise-causing lowest voltage. Some folks on the Apple discussion boards said that OEM's who "fix" the noise do so by installing a daemon (or whatever the Windows equivalent is) that occupies enough CPU time to prevent this low-voltage deep sleep. There are similar fixes floating around for MBPs.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jimathyjimathy Posts: 2member
    my mbp failed completely after just 7 days use. i've had it back just two weeks and the left hand usb port has now failed (burnt out) after my ipod nano was plugged into it for just one hour. i almost burnt my hand touching the right speaker.

i did angle pretty had for a replacement but apparently the policy is that a machine has to have 3 major repairs before they'll replace it.

in my mind they should be recalling all mbp's and replacing the lot.

this is my first mac and unless it comes back perfect and stays perfect it will probably be my last.