Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

I love those new ads from Apple!!!!!

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

w00t

Why did you do a new thread that exists already
  • Reply 2 of 110
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    It's the one most Apple Computer enthusiasts have been waiting for -- a television ad campaign that once again pits the advantages of a Mac over the shortcomings of traditional Windows PCs.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker kicked-off the campaign on network television on Monday. It consists of six 30-second long ad spots that touch on the Mac's strong points, such as immunity to viruses, operating system stability, networking, and the ability to run Apple's iLife digital lifestyle application suite.

In the ads, a calm and collected young man in a hooded sweatshirt (the Mac) engages in debate with a slightly older, stockier gentlemen dressed in a business suit (the Windows PC).

In one spot, dubbed "Viruses," the young man begins by saying, "Hello, I'm a Mac." The gentleman in the suit responds with, "and I'm a PC," and then proceeds to sneeze violently as if he has a cold.

"Gesundheit! You ok?," asks the Mac. "No, I'm not ok. I have that virus that's going around," says the PC.

In another spot, Apple highlights a stellar review given to the new Intel iMac Core Duo by renowned Wall Street Journal columnist Walt Mossberg. And yet another ad just touts the Mac as being "Better" than a Windows PC.

The new campaign is the first from Apple to specifically highlight some of the Macs advantages since the company announced its "Switch" series of television ads in June of 2002. That campaign featured what the company referred to as "real people" who had "switched" from the Microsoft Windows platform to the Mac.

Apple has posted all six of the new "Get a Mac" television commercials on its Web site in four different viewing sizes. The company also unveiled a list of 14 reasons why "you'll love a Mac" as well as a Web page that helps potential switchers decide which Mac is right for them.

• Reply 3 of 110
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    It's about damn time!
  • Reply 4 of 110
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    sigh... i prefer ads that do NOT make PC users look like dorks for what they use. heck, pc users have been doing the same thing TO ME for years, and all it did was make me hold more steadfast to my platform. peer pressure works on teens, not on purchasing adults.

but hey, maybe the ads will prove me wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Overall, the ads get a great message across. Macs are better than PCs to address today's Digital Lifestyle.

I thought that the "Virus" ad was funny.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I saw the "Wall Street" ad last night during 24. I thought it sucked. Hopefully the other ads are better than "Wall Street".
  • Reply 7 of 110
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I saw the "Wall Street" ad last night during 24. I thought it sucked. Hopefully the other ads are better than "Wall Street".

They are... in fact, that's the only one that didn't quite work for me, because I can see a lot of people tuning out as soon as the words "Wall Street Journal" or "Walter Mossberg" come out of the speakers.

But I actually chuckled at a couple, which is more than 99 percent of other commercials do.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    Obviously they are biased because Apple produced them... People seem to be getting angry over certain comments but hell its not as if they are that skewed or void of fact. The iLife one is the only one I would say is slightly skewed. Windows does have more then a Calculator and a Clock but still nothing quite as nice as iLife.

I just hope my friend watches these. I've been unable to convince to consider macs because he thinks that if 90% of the sheep out there are using Windows it must be better...

Of course using that same logic thats like saying Hitler must of been right because 90% of the German population stood behind him when he slaughtered millions or maybe it had something to do with ignorance and the 90% didn't know about it and didn't know any better then to stop his control.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

nice signature!
  • Reply 10 of 110
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    These are the best Mac ads ever. Period!
  • Reply 11 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

Obviously they are biased because Apple produced them... People seem to be getting angry over certain comments but hell its not as if they are that skewed or void of fact. The iLife one is the only one I would say is slightly skewed. Windows does have more then a Calculator and a Clock but still nothing quite as nice as iLife.

I just hope my friend watches these. I've been unable to convince to consider macs because he thinks that if 90% of the sheep out there are using Windows it must be better...

You said it!8)
  • Reply 12 of 110
    rinninrinnin Posts: 22member
    These should have been done ages ago. PCs have come a long way in copying the Mac OS, and Longhorn, due next year, is a total rip off of OS X as we all know. The comparisons are becoming fewer and fewer especially now that virus threats to Macs are on the increase. The virus ad is enough to p*ss off any virus writer & start to taking aim at OS X.

Would've been nice to see some video screenshots of OS X's features or some of the great things Macs can do much more simply & elegantly than PCs. Afterall, to the average Joe, in this ad, Macs just seem like a pretty cool PC box with a different name.

Overall I think the ads are nice and simple, amusing at times and get the point accross that Macs are cooler than PCs. But is this image thing convincing enough for people to switch over? I'm not too sure. But then again, its only my opinion.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    Was the spare white background Errol-Morris-style

series, complete with tinkly music, done by Morris himself,

or did he leave the scene after the last effort was cancelled?

I would have loved to see his Ames room shots...

Also, it seems odd that Apple is hijacking the term 'HD'

to mean 848x480 -- even for (HD)TV, that usually is either

720p or 1080i (which is 540p with trick play).

If they think any wide aspect ratio 480p should be termed HD,

this could give a clue about where they are going from 320x240

for video. Even though most G4 equipment can scale

480p H.264 to fullscreen, and that the bandwidth requirements

are better for web downloads, it is still disingenous to

undermine the shorthand for "high definition".
  • Reply 14 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by rinnin

These should have been done ages ago. PCs have come a long way in copying the Mac OS, and Longhorn, due next year, is a total rip off of OS X as we all know. The comparisons are becoming fewer and fewer especially now that virus threats to Macs are on the increase. The virus ad is enough to p*ss off any virus writer & start to taking aim at OS X.

Would've been nice to see some video screenshots of OS X's features or some of the great things Macs can do much more simply & elegantly than PCs. Afterall, to the average Joe, in this ad, Macs just seem like a pretty cool PC box with a different name.

Overall I think the ads are nice and simple, amusing at times and get the point accross that Macs are cooler than PCs. But is this image thing convincing enough for people to switch over? I'm not too sure. But then again, its only my opinion.

I just showed my mate the ads when they were put on apple.com , and he said seriously Apple computers don't get viruses like Windows, and I was like yes they don't, and he couldn't believe it. His eyes got very wide and he said do that's why you love apple so much, now I get it! Needless to say I was like 'eureka'
  • Reply 15 of 110
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I just showed my mate the ads when they were put on apple.com , and he said seriously Apple computers don't get viruses like Windows, and I was like yes they don't, and he couldn't believe it. His eyes got very wide and he said do that's why you love apple so much, now I get it! Needless to say I was like 'eureka'

Brilliant. Hopefully the rest of the PC world responds as favorably.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    666666 Posts: 134member
    it's this kind of arrogance that will get the nerds writing viruses to take Apple down a notch. But they are pretty funny.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by retiarius

Also, it seems odd that Apple is hijacking the term 'HD' to mean 848x480 -- even for (HD)TV, that usually is either 720p or 1080i (which is 540p with trick play).

If they think any wide aspect ratio 480p should be termed HD, this could give a clue about where they are going from 320x240 for video. Even though most G4 equipment can scale 480p H.264 to fullscreen, and that the bandwidth requirements are better for web downloads, it is still disingenous to undermine the shorthand for "high definition".

That's definitely one way of looking at it. But as I recall, when 16:9 plasma TVs started comming out, I was disappointed that the native resolution was 848x480 (WideVGA).

"HD" refers to the aspect ratio (16:9) in contrast to "SD" (standard definition) which is 4:3 aspect ratio. Pixel resolution for those aspect ratios is variable (e.g. VGA vs. WideVGA, XGA vs. WXGA, UXGA vs. WUXGA, QXGA vs. WQXGA, etc.) By this definition one could argue CGA (320x200) qualifies as "HD" because it is a 16x9 (ok 16x10) aspect ratio.

This is consistent with how Apple has used "HD" since the advent of QuickTime 7. All one needs to do is go to the QuickTime movie trailiers page to see how Apple has been doing this.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I love the viruses ad but I find them too smug - like the switching ads campaign. I don't think they'll gain market share by making PC users look too bad - although some of the ads have a good balance.

Edit: That iLife one is hilarious too!
  • Reply 19 of 110
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    The "Mac" guy looks like it is Justin Long.

The "PC" guy looks like Dave Foley even though I'm pretty sure it is not.

My favorite is the network spot.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I like 'em. The didital camera is a babe.

"I'll go get IT." Heh.