New Mac Mini Configuration Coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Last night, after the new commercials aired, I was browsing Apple's "Get a Mac" page and noticed something strange, so I saved the page in question as a PDF:

Notice that it says three Mac mini configurations. Well, tonight, I checked Apple's site again, and, lo and behold, it has changed! It now refers to two Mac mini configurations. See for yourself:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/intel.html

Now I suppose this is probably just a typo, but I thought some of us might find it interesting. Besides, its been kind of slow lately...

So, that being said, any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I think it is quite likely - the thought has occurred to me before - they used to have three Mac minis, and in my opinion they are not quite suchgood value as before (if you look at hard drive space for your $ etc). I think it is quite likely that the drop the price of the current ones and introduce a new top model. Time will tell.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    They have three configs in the retail stores in the UK.

In addition to the two models in the online store, there's a third (100GB disk, 1GB RAM). That's the one I bought, from stock.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It's either a typo, a new higher end model, a package, or a low end model with a Celeron-M (yonah) 400 series.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Maybe when the prices on the processors drop, this conspiracy theory might prove true!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I'm not holding my breath anyway. What I want is a Mini with the imac spec. It's simple:

imac = £929

decent Mini = imac - display = £929-£200? = £729

But no, keep pushing them integrated chips Apple and see me turn my head in disgust. You're just ruining the best machine you ever designed.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    If they ever give Mini something other then Integrated Graphics CRAP it could be a GREAT machine. Apple made certain they gave it the cheapist lowest form of Gpu they could find.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

If they ever give Mini something other then Integrated Graphics CRAP it could be a GREAT machine. Apple made certain they gave it the cheapist lowest form of Gpu they could find.

It's probably because of heat/space.

I totally agree btw.. I can't recommend the mini to anyone until they revise the graphics.

I wouldn't mind another cube.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

I didn't realize people were STILL whining about this!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Integrated graphics was considered a poor mans graphics in other words it was cheap crap then all of sudden Apple uses and its suppose to be Ok? I dont think so. garbage is garbage and integrated graphics is cheap garbage. They hold up the very bottom of any chart. I suspect Intel gives them to Apple for free for using its cpu's.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It needs to be mentioned in every mac mini thread that mentions features until Apple changes it.

I remember when the intel mac mini was introduced, nobody cheered for the graphics option (I don't even think Jobs mentioned it).

Ignoring the form factor, the mac mini should have a better video card for the price.

Also, I'm not all that impressed with the form factor.. remember that the PSU (part of the computer) is external and proprietary ($50 replacement).. that seems messy to me.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    slughead - you do realise how much more expensive the Core processors are than G4s, right?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

slughead - you do realise how much more expensive the Core processors are than G4s, right?

Of course. You, inturn, also realize that they increased the price by $100 on the base model. And don't bring the better drives into this, as they're the same price as, if not cheaper than, the old drives were at the time the $499 mac mini G4 was sold.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think the current models and price points are highly related to the higher cost for both the intel CPUs and added features like remote. Once production is humming and component prices have fallen I'd expect cheaper minis and more options.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    ...so they got better hard drives, airport, bluetooth and digital audio all for free ?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by [alloc init]

BTW, isn't the correct syntax:

[[class alloc] init]?

There is no alloc class to send an init message to.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    joshbuddyjoshbuddy Posts: 13member
    Did somebody say,

Mac Mini Pro??!!

*j*
  • Reply 17 of 23
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Anyone want to offer an ETA on the next v?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Over at another thread people are complaining that there is no $300 complete mac system. Go figure.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

BTW, isn't the correct syntax:

[[class alloc] init]?

There is no alloc class to send an init message to.

I've been waiting for someone to notice that. Initially, I was going to be alloc] init], but it didn't look right somehow. So I decided to rely on the stop/spot phenomenon, and hope that the brains of anyone who might know the reference, (i.e., you, Programmer) would mutate it appropriately.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

It's probably because of heat/space.

I totally agree btw.. I can't recommend the mini to anyone until they revise the graphics.

I wouldn't mind another cube.

You mean, like this one ?