how to clean & maintain apple cinema display?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
can i use water to clean the display? how much wet the water it will be?

and what should i use? a soft t-shirt, a wet tisue with soap? ..please let me know

cuz there is a bleach / stain in my monitor, its hard to clean withought soap / water...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iM-0N

can i use water to clean the display? how much wet the water it will be?

and what should i use? a soft t-shirt, a wet tisue with soap? ..please let me know

cuz there is a bleach / stain in my monitor, its hard to clean withought soap / water...

Water around electronics is usually not such a good idea, you should probably try alcohol based cleaning solutions first, try to find specialized monitor cleaning towels.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    im-0nim-0n Posts: 47member
    ow...thanks i almost use h2o for display...fiuhh so ..i better use alcohol for this yeah? ...but im still afraid...mybe i just need to look around more.. 4 a better solution...like buying a specific cleaner 4 lcd display..
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iKlear cleaning cloths.

Something water-based or windex-like is NOT a good idea.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Try to find something called plexus spray. Its specially designed for plastics and it works great.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    richardhrichardh Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

iKlear cleaning cloths.

Something water-based or windex-like is NOT a good idea.

Yeah, I second that. I've used the iKlear stuff, as well as iClean (from Monster) for monitors/flat-panel displays, for a few years now, and been quite happy with the results.

There are undoubtedly cheaper ways of doing the same thing, but probably if price was your number 1 priority, you would've gotten a Dell or whatever, instead of the Apple Cinema display.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH

Yeah, I second that. I've used the iKlear stuff, as well as iClean (from Monster) for monitors/flat-panel displays, for a few years now, and been quite happy with the results.

There are undoubtedly cheaper ways of doing the same thing, but probably if price was your number 1 priority, you would've gotten a Dell or whatever, instead of the Apple Cinema display.

The iKlear travel packs leave smears on your monitor, I have not tried the other kind of iKlear.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I went to my local eyeglass store & got a pump-spray bottle of the Zeiss lens cleaner & a glasses cleaning cloth. For fingerprints, you can spray a little on the rag, then clean the display. For larger messes (those "OMG!! I toatally sprayed coffee on my monitor that was so teh funay!" moments) a spritz or two on the display itself is no big deal.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

I went to my local eyeglass store & got a pump-spray bottle of the Zeiss lens cleaner & a glasses cleaning cloth. For fingerprints, you can spray a little on the rag, then clean the display. For larger messes (those "OMG!! I toatally sprayed coffee on my monitor that was so teh funay!" moments) a spritz or two on the display itself is no big deal.

Dude! DO NOT apply glass cleaner on a TFT. A TFT has a thin plastic layer, no glass. NOT a good idea.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Dude! DO NOT apply glass cleaner on a TFT. A TFT has a thin plastic layer, no glass. NOT a good idea.

Actually, many glass lenses are coated with compounds designed to cut down on glare, filter out UV, etc. A good quality lens cleaner would probably be safe on a plastic screen as it is very gentle on these coatings.