Energy Saver and External Drives

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Simple question:

I use mostly laptops (PB and MBP), which are left on 24 hours a day (no sleep, screen dims/shuts off after 15 minutes, hard drives sleep after 10 mins). I've had no problems with any of this, but I have a question to which I can't seem to find the answer at the moment ->

What's a terminal command (or pretty app-wrapper for same), which will prevent the external hard drives from sleeping? I have a RAID, coupla FW800 disks, and assorted smaller disks attached to the laptops. Whenever I click on something, I'd prefer not to have to wait a few seconds for the external drives to spin up.

How do I leave all the energy saver prefs AS IS, and change only the sleep for EXTERNAL DISKS (not the internal one).

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tag me backtag me back Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH

Simple question:

I use mostly laptops (PB and MBP), which are left on 24 hours a day (no sleep, screen dims/shuts off after 15 minutes, hard drives sleep after 10 mins). I've had no problems with any of this, but I have a question to which I can't seem to find the answer at the moment ->

What's a terminal command (or pretty app-wrapper for same), which will prevent the external hard drives from sleeping? I have a RAID, coupla FW800 disks, and assorted smaller disks attached to the laptops. Whenever I click on something, I'd prefer not to have to wait a few seconds for the external drives to spin up.

How do I leave all the energy saver prefs AS IS, and change only the sleep for EXTERNAL DISKS (not the internal one).

Thanks

I think (but am not sure) that the external drive sleep is controlled by the enclosure board. I suggest that you compose a shell script such as:

#!/bin/sh

ls /Volumes/external_drive1

ls /Volumes/external_drive2

and then automatically run it in whatever has replaced crond/crontab every ten minutes or so.