Can Keychain Password Be Reset With Install Disc?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If my laptop was stolen, could they use an install disc to reset the keychain password, just like the log-in password?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I believe not. You can change a keychain password independently, so I don't think it's tied to the account password, and I don't believe the installer media allow you to reset it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    The login password can be reset with a install disk, this will not reset the Keychain or FileVault password.

This also goes for using a master password to open a FileVault, the FileVault will open but the Keychain inside won't be changed.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Sorry to reiterate, but this is the same even if I have left the Keychain as its default - which is the same as the login password?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

Sorry to reiterate, but this is the same even if I have left the Keychain as its default - which is the same as the login password?

yup
  • Reply 5 of 5
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

If my laptop was stolen, could they use an install disc to reset the keychain password, just like the log-in password?

I think it can use the cd to create another administrator account, and by using this I think he can access some stuff of yours.

On my laptop I have created a 10 GB partition, 128 bit encrypted and has a password wich is not saved in the keychain. I have set my computer to save my most important files there.