universal applications?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i was wondering... will the new intel chip based macs work with mac softwares? or will the 'universal' labeled softwares must be used? assistance appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Yes, OS X software will still run on Intel-based Macs, it will just run-under Rosetta, which take the PowerPC code and converts it so the Intel chip can read it. Depending on what application you're using you may or may not notice a difference
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DAIDAI

i was wondering... will the new intel chip based macs work with mac softwares? or will the 'universal' labeled softwares must be used? assistance appreciated...

No, Universal Binaries are not required. PPC-based software will run on your Intel-based Mac's using its built-in Rosetta emulator. However, many titles are being converted to UB as they are updated.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    daidaidaidai Posts: 38member
    what is the purpose when you see this apple applications that say 'universal'? i think i saw this on apple's production suite...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DAIDAI

what is the purpose when you see this apple applications that say 'universal'? i think i saw this on apple's production suite...

DAIDAI, I see nobody answered your question so I will give it a try. Please forgive me if I go back too far for you. But it sounds like you are trying to understand a very basic principle.

First, you know that Apple is producing computers based on two completely separate processors. Intel and PPC. Each of these processors uses their own code or machine language to perform their instructions. When the software developer compiles his program he choses which code set he wants to create. He can compile for the Intel chip, the PPC (all Mac programs release before June of last year are PPC based) or both. A program complied for both Intel and PPC is said to be Universal.

I should add that the Intel Macs can run Intel, PPC or Universal based programs. Whereas the PPC Macs can run only the PPC and Universal programs.