Cool Mens Watches?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I need a new cool wrist watch. I prefer steel/chrome. Around $100 if possible. Any ideas? What do you wear?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

What do you wear?

Don't need one... got a few secretaries... oops... I meant "administrative associates" to remind me of the things I have to attend... the rest of the time it's my wife who keeps track of time. \ So I don't keep a watch around.

However, if you do want a nice, accurate watch I would suggest Seiko. Also, go for titanium. It's way better than steel!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I need a new cool wrist watch. I prefer steel/chrome. Around $100 if possible. Any ideas? What do you wear?

You can get a pretty decent SwissArmy watch for around that price range. I have one with a stainless steel band and case with a black face. Diver's bezel, good to 100 meters. I picked it up at Costco for about $95.

Also, I bought a Revo watch from Sunglass hut a couple of years ago for about $120. Band was of rubber. Had a stopwatch and Tachymeter built in. Good to 100 meters.

Personally, I am done with buying cheap watches. I am saving for a Breitling. Considering that the watch is about the only accessory that a man wears, I wanted to spend a bit more now that I am done with school.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    get a Skagen
  • Reply 5 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

You can get a pretty decent SwissArmy watch for around that price range. I have one with a stainless steel band and case with a black face. Diver's bezel, good to 100 meters. I picked it up at Costco for about $95.

Also, I bought a Revo watch from Sunglass hut a couple of years ago for about $120. Band was of rubber. Had a stopwatch and Tachymeter built in. Good to 100 meters.

Personally, I am done with buying cheap watches. I am saving for a Breitling. Considering that the watch is about the only accessory that a man wears, I wanted to spend a bit more now that I am done with school.

I've also got a swiss army watch from costco. Mine was about $250 I think. Hopefully this will last longer than all the other $25 watches I've had in the past. Come to think of it, at 6 months, it's already lasted longer than some of them.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    There's always this classic, which I picked up while in Libya:

• Reply 7 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

get a Skagen

I have two Titanium ones that have lasted for a long time. I think I got the first one in December '98. It ran out of batteries in 2003, and I bought another before realizing that I could send it back to the factory for free battery replacement.

Incidentally, when it returned it was clearly a new watch entirely.

Skagens tend to be thin, which is good because I'm thin, and bulky watches just look stupid on me. Plus, they have a hard time fitting under sleeves and jackets. On fat, bulkly, or otherwise large people, Skagens do look a bit odd, though.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Skagen is the way to go.

I have two: one titanium one with a silver finish and a white face, and a black steel one with a black face. Both were somewhere around $100. The only downside is lack of extras: both of my watches only do time and date.

That said, they are ridiculously thin, light, and comfortable. I've had them both for about three years now and I continue to get compliments on them from both friends and random people (i.e. store clerks)

Also, if you are into the retro thing, thinkgeek.com has a vintage LED watch that I think looks pretty cool.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Swatch chronos. They got a lot and come out with different styles every year. You should be able to find one in your price range.

I got a simple black and white jobbie that replaced a blue Porsche-inspired model that I gave to a friend and the thing is built to last. I don't know how many times I've dropped it or banged it against something and it just keep going.

Really impress people by actually showing them how to use the chrono. I have met people who have fake chronos - finding out such when I asked them if the buttons work the same as mine - and other who didn't have a clue how to operate their chornos.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    I'm on my third Titanium with silver face. I bought the original I think at a Sharper Image for $99.00. I can't find it in stores anymore, but I bought my second one (after totally wearing out the original) on ebay for $70 new. That one had a problem, and I sent it back - to receive a brand new one in less than 1 week.

They are very durable and are the perfect blend of classy and casual. I can wear it with anything and never feel like it's too much or too little.

Would never bother with anything else.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    ...some ostentatious fossil watch.

wide leather band, huge watch face, gimmicky digital scrolling display + analog. it does the job.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I just got this one, which I love.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

get a Skagen

I took your recommendation and bought one of these on Amazon for $79:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3367581

I love the watch! It is beautiful and light, with just the time and nothing else.

Only quibbles:

- it does not have bumps on either side of the crown, so if you wear it on your left hand it digs into the back of your hand. No problem, moved it to my right hand, it is light enough so that it doesn't make a lot of noise when I shift gears in my car (unlike my old tag heuer and other metal watches, which rattled like hell on my shifting hand).

- the mesh band looks like it is easy to adjust, but it is hard to get the hidden bump to seat properly in one of the groves.

I think that the watch is as beautiful as (and a lot less clunky than) the watch I was saving up for, and didn't buy as a result of this watch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3367581
  • Reply 14 of 20
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    If I wore a watch people might expect me to be ontime! I do have a cheap casio though that I bought in Amsterdam, because I realized the only time I need a watch is when I'm traveling.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    For a long time I used the "watch" part of a heart rate monitor as my daily use watch. I got used to the basic digital watch features (alarm, stopwatch, etc) so I wanted a digital watch for my next one, too. The key points were better looks and durability. I didn't want to risk damaging the heart rate monitor in daily use when a normal watch would serve the same function better.

Then I saw this one and instantly loved the colors. Black with pink numbers and bright orange wristband inside - 1cm of the orange surface shows outside the clasp. The pink is actually very light in practice, not purple like in the picture.

As for durability, I've had it for about five months now. It has tolerated a seven-day arctic ski trek and four months of basic infantry training. It does not leave my wrist even in the shower (full waterproofing). It doesn't have a scratch.

I dress in a utilitarian but non-boring way, with outdoors and "hackerish" overtones and some colorful detail. The watch fits that mode of dress perfectly. It felt somewhat big at first but I got used to it, and have enough forearm width that the visual mass of the watch does not look out of place. The thickness is a bother only occasionally when exercising. Needless to say, I strongly recommend this watch. For the price it's a terrific deal and the reviews from G-Shock owners lead me to believe it will last ten years at least.

I'd like to get a second watch to go with more formal clothing. No idea what kind... the Skagens look good though!

Then I'd like a third watch in "traditional military" style - analog, proper self-illuminating dials and hour markers, waterproof. Like this:

• Reply 16 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The tokyoflash ones are amazing.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I was actually going to start a thread on this awhile back. Glad to see someone finally did it.

Given that everything now has a clock built-in, and cell phones are now commonplace, the watch has become an optional accessory.

I'm all for the functional side of things, and - being a Mac Geek (and proud of it) I've long appreciated the ability of the Casio Data Bank for helping figure out quick calculations in restaurants, grocery stores and business meetings.

I'd love to upgrade to something more modern, but I haven't found anything that represents a real step forward in functionality.

I don't go diving, and while knowing my heart rate is great, it's not something that brings out the geek in me. Changing TV channels with your wristwatch is just weird.

I'd love to see an updated Data Bank with the following 2 features:

? integrated flash memory for transporting small files.

? industry standard car door opening interface - never be locked out again!

What do you think?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

? industry standard car door opening interface - never be locked out again!

What do you think?

How would this work? Would you take your car door remote, put the watch into a recording mode, and then press the button, and your watch would repeat what it "heard"?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How would this work? Would you take your car door remote, put the watch into a recording mode, and then press the button, and your watch would repeat what it "heard"?

Probably it would work the same way that the current "keyless remotes" work. The new Volvo S80 has a fob that you keep in your pocket, which activates the starter button when within range of the car.

You could get a keycode with each car (like a 40 digit number or something), which you could type into your watch to turn it into a keyless remote fob.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Does anyone know any information about this watch:-

I haven't been able to find any information on it. I like the mix of analogue and digital together with the black frame.

Hence I want one, but I don't know what to look for.