podcasts downloading very slow

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hope someone can help ? ive been having trouble downloading from itunes mainly bbc ones, my 2mb tiscali connection normally speeds through in 30 seconds . ive done the speedcheck no problems there , repaired permissions all the usual stuff , does anyone have any ideas ? heres hoping

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 12voltstuff

hope someone can help ? ive been having trouble downloading from itunes mainly bbc ones, my 2mb tiscali connection normally speeds through in 30 seconds . ive done the speedcheck no problems there , repaired permissions all the usual stuff , does anyone have any ideas ? heres hoping

Tell me the podcast your having trouble with and I'll test it on mine
  • Reply 2 of 9
    its mostly bbc ones sportsweek,the chequered flag and the daily mayo tried again last night managed to download a couple but took 40 mins to download one 30 minute episode
  • Reply 3 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 12voltstuff

its mostly bbc ones sportsweek,the chequered flag and the daily mayo tried again last night managed to download a couple but took 40 mins to download one 30 minute episode

I'm downloading the sportsweek one as we speak, it took roughly 60-90seconds on my 1Mb pipes. You should give your ISP a call.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Must be a problem with your ISP, Tiscali. I recommend reporting the problem to them. If they don't fix it, switch to a more reliable ISP.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    thanks guys ill give them a call and see what they say
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bigmac81bigmac81 Posts: 10member
    I am also having trouble downloading podcast mainly the one from dj zinc.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Im having the same problems, im pretty sure THE problem is that Tiscali are severly reducing the bandwidth to iTunes.

I've contacted them, they tell me its my firewall. Thats complete shit. Looking around the net, alot of people on Tiscali have reported over the past week or so that iTunes just does not work anymore.

You probably received an email recently, that Tiscali are reducing the bandwidth to certain P2P applications to reduce bandwidth conjestion. Obviously, iTunes has been flagged

Unfortunately I am under contract with these bozo's for another 9 months, so there's fuck all I can do about it.

Considering they are not blocking access to some of the lesser known music stores, including their own, I can only assume that this is just pure BS, in an attempt to get their users to switch off iTunes and onto something else. I guess the only recourse is that this sort of behaviour falls under "Anti-competitive" legislation, and I could talk to trading standards.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Im having the same problems, im pretty sure THE problem is that Tiscali are severly reducing the bandwidth to iTunes.

So play with client side port forwarding...just for fun...

Use a high port, one that isnt registered or commonly used for other apps, like 52140 or something.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

So play with client side port forwarding...just for fun...

Use a high port, one that isnt registered or commonly used for other apps, like 52140 or something.

you'd better give me detailed instructions on how to do that on XP, im no techie!

PS. iTunes does work perfectly fine on my tiscali connection if I try it at 4 in the morning...which isn't entirely practical...