Apple inks distribution deal for 2006 NBA playoffs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The NBA has teamed up with Apple to bring the 2006 Playoffs to the iTunes Music Store, offering basketball fans the ability to download full game recaps of every remaining NBA Playoffs and Finals game broadcast by NBA networks ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBATV to their computer or iPod within 24 hours after each game concludes.

In addition to the 15 to 20 minute full game recaps available for each 2006 Playoffs game, during The Finals, fans will also be able to purchase complete game replays of every Finals game the day after they air on ABC.

Additionally, TNT Sports will provide more than 15 episodes of its Emmy Award-winning studio show, Inside the NBA on TNT, that will feature exclusive off-camera footage and interaction between Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson. Episodes will also include guest appearances by TNT analysts Reggie Miller and Magic Johnson.

The "2006 NBA Playoffs on iTunes" content will be promoted across ESPN and ESPN.com, TNT and NBA TV advocating an "unprecedented new way" for fans to follow the NBA Playoffs leading up to and throughout The Finals on ABC starting on June 8.

As part of the deal, fans will be able to access the NBA content on Apple's iTunes service through several download options including a first of its kind "Follow Your Team" package which allows fans to receive automatic downloads of each of their favorite team's games.

Fans who purchase the "Follow You Team" option to one of the league's eight Conference Semfinal Playoff teams will receive full game recaps of every game the team plays from the Conference Semifinals through The Finals and a season recap video for $8.99.

"We're thrilled to be offering basketball fans this unique opportunity to follow NBA Playoffs on iTunes," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "With the new 'Follow Your Team' feature, fans automatically receive full game recaps of every game their favorite team plays from the Conference Semifinals through The Finals."

For the same $8.99. fee, fans can also purchase the "Inside the NBA on TNT" option, which will provide them with every episode of Inside the NBA on TNT from the Conference Semifinals through the Conference Finals including exclusive bonus segments.

Meanwhile, fans who purchase a special "Finals" package will receive complete game replays of every game of The Finals on ABC for $5.99.

"The NBA Playoffs and The Finals showcase the best athletes in the world competing for the ultimate prize and now fans can catch up and relive the excitement by downloading every remaining game and series through iTunes," said Brenda Spoonemore, Senior Vice President of Interactive Services, NBA Entertainment. "Tech-savvy NBA fans want more ways to experience the passion of the NBA and together with our television partners, we're happy to make this first ever playoff download package available."

iTunes shoppers may also select any 15 to 20 minute full game recap, complete game replay of The Finals or Inside the NBA on TNT a la carte for $1.99. All will be available on iTunes within 24 hours after games conclude.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I'm in no way a sports buff, but why would anyone want a copy of the game to keep? It seems to me after you've seen it once on TV you wouldn't ever need to see it again. In fact, why watch it at all? Just check the scores after the games over

Now downloading it from iTunes, if you missed it on TV is another thing.

But why would anyone watch a basketball game twice?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Totally agree. What's the point of watching a game after it's already over? Makes no sense.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    psychboypsychboy Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I'm in no way a sports buff, but why would anyone want a copy of the game to keep? It seems to me after you've seen it once on TV you wouldn't ever need to see it again. In fact, why watch it at all? Just check the scores after the games over

Now downloading it from iTunes, if you missed it on TV is another thing.

But why would anyone watch a basketball game twice?

For nostolgia, I wouldn't mind having some classic games on hand. And being from Illinois, I'd love to have a copy of the game where Michael Jordan hit the infamous buzzer-beater against Cleveland way back when. Or the surreal come-from-behind win of Illinois over Arizona in the '05 NCAA tournament. Kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

Of course, if you take this a couple levels up, some people seem to live parts of their lives vicariously through their favorite sports teams. So if they're feeling down because of a recent playoff loss, they just cue up the last 5 minutes of that great comeback game from earlier in the year, and bam, instant good mood!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    I agree with earlier posts: I don't really see the market for NBA reruns, but I'm always glad to see new and different content on iTunes.

If Apple becomes a bona fide competitor to cable and satellite (once the Mac mini finally morphs into a DVR/cable box), an inability to carry live programming -- sports, award shows, etc. -- will be a disadvantage.

Can Apple harness the bandwidth to make live happen?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    That's the difference between a sports buff, and everyone else.

They collect these things just the way people collect stamps, or coins, or Beanie Babies.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    I am not the guy watching sports a lot an TV, but I think there are many who do and quite a few of them will download the shows. Just imagine you are one of those die hard fans of a team - they have all the merchandising products, many even follow their team to watch every game live. Then it comes in handy to have copy of the play on your computer to watch it again from different angles and the most interesting action in slow motion.

I believe this market is quite big. Time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotty321

Totally agree. What's the point of watching a game after it's already over? Makes no sense.

Are you kidding?!!? I'd pay money for a copy of the 1977 NBA Championship playoffs and finals!!! Go Trailblazers!!! Yeah....nostalgia ... but that year was great to be a kid in Portland: the Trailblazers won in the Spring, Queen came out with "We Are the Champions" and Star Wars premiered that Summer!!!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    frhillfrhill Posts: 1member
    For US expats in foreign countries like myself who may not have the opportunity to watch the action real time, this represents the most vaible option to keep up with sports in the US. Kudos to Apple for continuing to make more and more content available. Now if they would only get the hit shows from TNT on-line, not just the sports.