good defrag tool?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sorry, but search returned nothing for this item. Can anyone recommend a good defrag tool, and are there any trustworthy free programs that you could recommend?

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Uh oh...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Heh.

Shall I wait, or...

Naw.

Rick, defragging is done for the vast majority of files (all those <20MB in size) automatically, on the fly, by the filesystem on MacOS X.

The only time you'll need a defrag tool is if you have *very* specialized and tight constraints on your data access, such as real-time HD video editing. Otherwise, it's really just a waste of your money on the Mac.

One more thing you don't have to worry about.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rick12322rick12322 Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Heh.

Shall I wait, or...

Naw.

Rick, defragging is done for the vast majority of files (all those <20MB in size) automatically, on the fly, by the filesystem on MacOS X.

The only time you'll need a defrag tool is if you have *very* specialized and tight constraints on your data access, such as real-time HD video editing. Otherwise, it's really just a waste of your money on the Mac.

One more thing you don't have to worry about.

Awesome!

Rick
  • Reply 4 of 5
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    in other news.. err... problems, tinkertools can be quite useful.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

in other news.. err... problems, tinkertools can be quite useful.

Thanks, I'm not haviing any problems, I do a lot of digital audio work, and just wanted to avoid any potential problems. I'll make a note of tinkertools.

Rick