iTunes users furious over botched ticket promo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A large number of Apple Computer's iTunes customers, who paid in advance for rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers' new album "Stadium Arcadium" in order to receive a Ticketmaster code that would allow them to purchase advance tickets for the bands upcoming tour, did not receive those codes before ticket pre-sales began on Tuesday and are now enraged with the iPod maker.

Hundreds of the angry iTunes customers are convening on the company's support forms, demanding to know why they did not receive their Ticketmaster pre-sale code Monday evening as Apple had led them to believe.

In an April press release advocating the promotion, Apple said: "Red Hot Chili Peppers fans who pre-order the album on iTunes will also receive an email with a code that they can use at Ticketmaster.com starting May 9 to purchase concert tickets before they go on sale to the general public on May 13."

A large majority of the customers still had not received their codes by Tuesday afternoon, despite the fact that pre-sales for many of the band's shows had already begun. Some of these customers reported receiving blank emails or emails about the promotion that lacked the special code, while others say they received no correspondence from Apple whatsoever.

One customer looking to purchase tickets for the Chili Peppers' Toronto, Canada show had not received his ticket code on Tuesday when he was informed that floor seats for the show had already sold out.

"I don't have my code yet either. This is the whole reason I pre-ordered Stadium Arcadium in the first place," said another disgruntled customer who plunked down $20 to participate in the promo. "Will someone at Apple please give us a shout?"

Apple has made no official comment on the issue, though several customers who contacted the company's various telephone hotlines were informed "Apple is aware of the problem" and that it is "working to get the emails [with the codes] out as soon as possible."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Eck!

Boy, am I glad that I did not pre-order the download with the expectation that I would get a priority code.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Not good publicity at all.

Anyone else think they rushed the promotion? I don't recall they ever did this sort of thing before, so I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quick, somebody open those Do Not Open 'Til Tuesday boxes! I bet they're chock full of ticket codes.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    We want Chili Willie!

We want Chili Willie!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo

Eck!

Boy, am I glad that I did not pre-order the download with the expectation that I would get a priority code.

Glad I don't like them.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Glad I don't like them.

What do you have against priority codes?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Well, first...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    YES, Apple screwed up here.

NO, the dude complaining about floor seats was NOT screwed by Apple. Members of the RHCP fan club were able to order tickets even before the iTunes crowd, and I'm sure that's where the floor seats went. I think the fan club had a two day lead over the iTunes pre-order, and the iTunes crowd had a couple day lead over the general public. You can complain about not getting codes, but not about lack of stage-side seats if you aren't an RHCP fan club member.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo

Not good publicity at all.

Anyone else think they rushed the promotion? I don't recall they ever did this sort of thing before, so I wouldn't be surprised.

They did this For Depeche Mode. I got the code- the only problem was the tickets they offered were awful. I ended up not going - I have over 200 Depeche Mode CD's and have seen them 12 times - so I was very upset at the time (although I did not blame Apple).
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I wonder when the lawsuit will be.....
  • Reply 11 of 20
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peanut brittle

I wonder when the lawsuit will be.....

Ha!

Yup, that's what I was thinking.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Absolutely nothing. Priority codes are great. RHCP are not great. Maybe once back in the day, but not now. Personal opinion of course from a fellow rocker.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    They also screwed up last night when they eended the promo before it was scheduled to close. The Official rules said that it ended at 8:59 PDT but when I tried to pre-order at 8:00 iTunes said that the availbility had changed.

Bad show Apple.....
  • Reply 14 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FreeState

..... I have over 200 Depeche Mode CD's......

Them dudes is scary prolific.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    These types of promotions are generally handled by some third party and are arranged by the artists management. They in turn would hand the codes over to Apple who would dole them out to customers. At least that is how this works in other areas, like fanclubs and other promotions.

Ticket availability and selection is not controlled by Apple. They just hand the codes out.

Basically it sounds like artist management screwed up but it makes Apple look really bad. Apple should have hounded them for the codes sooner and been very clear about how it doesn't guarantee a ticket or that tickets will be for good seats. In the end this will probably blow over, but not without leaving a bad taste in many iTunes customers' mouths.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    oops! good thing the chillies are well, kinda crappy.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FreeState

They did this For Depeche Mode. I got the code- the only problem was the tickets they offered were awful. I ended up not going - I have over 200 Depeche Mode CD's and have seen them 12 times - so I was very upset at the time (although I did not blame Apple).

I think the awful seats they were offering was a subtle suggestion that you need help. 200 Depeche Mode CDs? My god man. that is sick. 1 would be bad enough.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by AppleInsider

[B]A large number of Apple Computer's iTunes customers, who paid in advance for rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers' new album "Stadium Arcadium" in order to receive a Ticketmaster code that would allow them to purchase advance tickets for the bands upcoming tour, did not receive those codes before ticket pre-sales began on Tuesday and are now enraged with the iPod maker.

The best way to get tickets is to wait till the day of the show and buy them at the box office. The front row seats are usually reserved for press and whatnot, then those seats unused are released the day of the show. If you are stupid enough to wait in line or preorder via Itunes, you are not getting any better seats than if you bought them a week later.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I am a huge Chili Peppers fan and can't understand why someone would rather a less than cd quality copy of their new cd just to get presale codes? ESPECIALLY when you can join the fan club and get presale codes to every single concert?

I feel for the people though. It's not the first time presales from any group through the fan club or a vendor have gone awry.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4metta

It's not the first time presales from any group through the fan club or a vendor have gone awry.

Understatement of the year!