iTunes: how to delete songs from a smartalbum?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi, i've got a fairly large library of music that i'm trying to clean up: i listen to my stuff on my iPod and give those songs that i don't like a rating of 1 star. i have a smart album set up to show all songs with 1 star and would like to batch-delete them from my library but can't seem to figure out how??? (other than selecting each one individually, have it show in my library, and then deleting it there....

any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    You mean smart playlist, right?

You can select more than one track in a row by holfing down the shift key.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

You mean smart playlist, right?

yes, i meant "smart playlist".

i know how to select more than one item - however, how do i remove all the songs in a smart playlist from my library???
  • Reply 3 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I don't think deletions in playlists directly replicate into the main library. This is a design choice to allow conditional playlists that can be tweaked without destroying the 'original' data.

You can choose to show the star rating column within your library itself (under the Edit menu -> View Options), sort by that column by clicking its title, and then multiple-select and batch delete.

Should give the same result.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

You can choose to show the star rating column within your library itself (under the Edit menu -> View Options), sort by that column by clicking its title, and then multiple-select and batch delete.

Should give the same result.

hahaha, sometimes i'ts funny how an obviious solution is the one thing that doesn't come to mind

nonetheless, me thinks some kind of option to "purge selected items from library" would be a useful addition.

thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    You can delete tracks from the Library from within a playlist by pressing Option-Delete
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You can delete tracks from the Library from within a playlist by pressing Option-Delete

yessssssss!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

THANK YOU
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Does that work in iPhoto too?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

yes, i meant "smart playlist".

No reason to worry.

[/quote]i know how to select more than one item - however, how do i remove all the songs in a smart playlist from my library???
    [/QUOTE]

Ah, I understand. My mistake.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    just uncheck the track and it won't play.