Create FLV video in OSX?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there a way to convert MOV files to FLV in OSX?

Or is the only way with Flash MX?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

thanks

There are 3rd party exporters such as Sorenson Squeeze:

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/solutio...d/comp_mac.php

but that's expensive.

Another thing to bear in mind:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=479daf71

I don't think Adobe sell the flv encoder separate.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

thanks

If you just have a handfull of video, and it isnt an ongoing thing, then teh 30 day trial may work, if it is a recurring thing, then why use Flash? QTpro is cheaper than Flash or Squeeze, and lets face it, FLASH VIDEOS ALL SUCK...yes, that may be painting with a broad brush, but I have never seen a flash video hold a candle to an equal bandwidth-wise H.264 or even H.263 MOV, it is as bad or worse than RealMedia codec, if you can at all avoid flash, avoid it.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    ffmpegX now encodes flv files for free. http://ffmpegx.com
  • Reply 4 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    awesome thanks all..

I dont care for FLV, its a friend who is adding a bunch of company videos to their website and wants them embedded .. makes sense to use Flash.. its basically universal and dont need too high spec machine to play them..
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

makes sense to use Flash.. its basically universal and dont need too high spec machine to play them..

Actually, I agree with a_greer. Flash video looks horrible and it's no more universal than Quicktime. You have to get a plugin for both. Also, Flash seems to use more of my CPU than H264. To reduce CPU, just reduce your bitrate. Even with a lower bitrate, H264 will look better than flash.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    d_dd_d Posts: 1member
    I recommend to converts MOV to FLV by Vid2Flash Converter
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Watch out; there are two kinds of FLVs: H.263 (lower quality) and VP6 (higher quality). I suspect ffmpeg and the other free tools only produce H.263.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If I am not mistaken the VP2 Pro codec is only working for Flash 8
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

If I am not mistaken the VP2 Pro codec is only working for Flash 8

that is correct.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Actually, I agree with a_greer. Flash video looks horrible and it's no more universal than Quicktime.

it really depends on your target audience. flash player 7 is installed on about 95% of the western surfing population (version 8 is already upto 75%). that' far more than quicktime and even WMP.

more here: http://www.adobe.com/products/player...netration.html
  • Reply 11 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I go flash for all my client's web video is due to its market share.

I like QT but not many people have them (especially in the corporate world, good luck)

And I HATE using WMV....

....so Flash is the only option
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

it really depends on your target audience. flash player 7 is installed on about 95% of the western surfing population (version 8 is already upto 75%). that' far more than quicktime and even WMP.

WMP is on more machines than flash surely. Anyway, Quicktime and wmv are used more in the business world than flash video - a lot of the time you get a choice of either one. Flash video is a relatively new thing and it really doesn't offer any advantages over quicktime other than the fact that most people probably have it installed. However, there is always a time when it has to be installed just like Quicktime. Why sacrifice quality for that?