Apple offers QuickTime, Front Row, Security updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released QuickTime 7.1, Front Row 1.2.2 and Security Update 2006-003.

QuickTime 7.1

Apple said the 49.1MB QuickTime 7.1 update is an important release that delivers numerous bug fixes, support for iLife ?06, and H.264 performance improvements. This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

Front Row 1.2.2

A 4MB Front Row 1.2.2 update addresses bugs that prevented song shuffling within playlists, corrects bugs that prevented authorized Audible Audiobooks from playing, fixes a variety of DVD compatibility issues and fixes a bug that prevented Front Row from reconnecting to shared video libraries after wake from sleep.

The new version no longer says the server was not found when its waiting for a large movie trailer or long shared video to load, correctly recognizes purchased movies located in the Movies folder and includes a variety of fixes for VoiceOver accessibility.

Security Update 2006-003 Mac OS X 10.4.6 Client (PPC)

A 12MB PowerPC version of Security Update 2006-003 for Mac OS X Tiger is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AppKit, Bom, CFNetwork, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, curl, Finder, Flash Player Plug-in, ImageIO, LaunchServices, Mail, Preview, QuickDraw, Ruby, Safari and securityd.

Security Update 2006-003 Mac OS X 10.4.6 Client (Intel)

A 23.5MB Intel version of Security Update 2006-003 for Mac OS X Tiger is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AppKit, Bom, CFNetwork, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, curl, Finder, ImageIO, LaunchServices, Mail, Preview, QuickDraw, Ruby, Safari and securityd.

Security Update 2006-003 (10.3.9 Client)

A 28MB PowerPC version of Security Update 2006-003 for Mac OS X Panther is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AppKit, Bom, CoreFoundation, Finder, Flash Player Plug-in, Mail, QuickDraw, Ruby, Safari and SecurityServer.

Security Update 2006-003 (10.4.6 Server)

A 13.1 PowerPC version of Security Update 2006-003 for Mac OS X Tiger Server is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AppKit, Bom, CFNetwork, ClamAV, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, curl, Finder, Flash Player Plug-in, FTPServer, ImageIO, LaunchServices, Mail, MySQL Manager, Preview, QuickDraw, QuickTime Streaming Server, Ruby, Safari and securityd.

Security Update 2006-003 (10.3.9 Server)

A 41.6 PowerPC version of Security Update 2006-003 for Mac OS X Panther Server is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AppKit, Bom, CoreFoundation, Finder, Flash Player Plug-in, FTPServer, Mail, QuickDraw, QuickTime Streaming Server, Ruby, Safari and SecurityServer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I have to applaud Apple for including an important update for Flash. Personally, I keep up to date with it, and upgrade it myself.

However, the Mac should be easy to use. Mac users should not have to worry about security flaws and Flash, and they should not have to worry about upgrading it (even though it is third party software).

Good work, Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Front-Row update:

(1) Movie trailers fixed

(2) Shuffle songs logo (sparks)

(3) Issue when coming out of certain sections (should still be in Front-Row) but you immediately appear unexpectedly back at the desktop and you are no longer in Front-Row. (I thought this issue might have been ironed out after the update, but no luck) Feedback, feedback, feedback!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I was half way through the security update when I shut the computer, forgetting that I was installing updates. So I restarted when the other updates were installed, but the security update had an error.

After restart, I installed the security update again, but now, every time I start it up it freezes. A real life genuine freeze (except my cursor moves), I haven't had one for a while. OS X starts up and I'm able to use the finder for a few seconds. During those few seconds I was able to command option escape and relaunch the finder, finder quit and started to reopen, as the menu bar was half way through the process of appearing, it froze again! So, whatever it is, it's not an issue with finder.

Now, I'm in my windows partition looking for a way to fix this.

Oh yah, I've got an Apple Hardware Test cd here that won't start up when I hold C, I don't know why. It's for an eMac, but I thought it should work. Boot Camp doesn't recognize it either.

Hopefully this is something screwy with my machine and not the result of the security update. (I wouldn't think that it was)
  • Reply 4 of 14
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    DeaPeaJay, I believe you have to press down the U key to do the hardware test? Not 100% certain, but I think it's different to the C key.

Here's what I recommend that you do... Get your Tiger or system restore CD or DVD, start up from it with the C key, and than restore your operating system. Your data won't be affected.

That should get you back up and running.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

DeaPeaJay, I believe you have to press down the U key to do the hardware test? Not 100% certain, but I think it's different to the C key.

Here's what I recommend that you do... Get your Tiger or system restore CD or DVD, start up from it with the C key, and than restore your operating system. Your data won't be affected.

That should get you back up and running.

I'm away visiting my sister, and I don't have my Tiger discs. I used their Panther install disc, but no matter what i do I can't get the system to start up from the cd.

A few weeks ago I ran disc utility from my tiger disc and it showed up in Boot Camp. None of the cds I've tried booting from have done that.

I'll try that U key though, thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    andrewcodandrewcod Posts: 19member
    DeaPeaJay, it seems your problems are not isoated. There are tonnes of users who are reporting that after restarting, their computers simply freeze - apparently because of some startup items such as Adobe Version Cue.

It also seems more common on Intel Based Macs.

You can read about it here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....77248&tstart=0

You should be able to test if it's your startup items which are causing the problems, by disabling them during startup. Simply hold down the shift key after the chime, and they will be disabled. If you can then log in okay, you might want to delete the startup items (Accounts pane in system prefs)

Hope that fixes your problem!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

It's for an eMac, but I thought it should work. Boot Camp doesn't recognize it either.

The eMac hardware test CD could not possibly work, as it is for a PPC system, and you have an Intel system. Also, hardware test CDs tend to be machine-specific.

Quote:

You are right that it isn't the C key. It's the D key on an Intel Mac.

Quote:

Originally posted by andrewcod

DeaPeaJay, it seems your problems are not isoated. There are tonnes of users who are reporting that after restarting, their computers simply freeze - apparently because of some startup items such as Adobe Version Cue.

It also seems more common on Intel Based Macs.

You can read about it here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....77248&tstart=0

You should be able to test if it's your startup items which are causing the problems, by disabling them during startup. Simply hold down the shift key after the chime, and they will be disabled. If you can then log in okay, you might want to delete the startup items (Accounts pane in system prefs)

Hope that fixes your problem!

This is good advice, except you've made a slight mistake about when to hold down the shift key. Holding down the shift key immediately after the chime sound will boot in "safe mode", which prevents any third party (kernel) extensions from loading. In order to prevent startup items from loading, you need to press the shift key immediately after pressing the "login" button. If your Mac automatically logs-in a particular user (and you therefore don't see the login screen), the shift key should be held down as soon as the "loading OS X" progress bar disappears.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

The eMac hardware test CD could not possibly work, as it is for a PPC system, and you have an Intel system. Also, hardware test CDs tend to be machine-specific.

yah, forgot I was running on intel there for a minute :/

Quote:

You are right that it isn't the C key. It's the D key on an Intel Mac.

I tried the D, still nothing, it is a panther install disc, which probably wouldn't work with me anyway since it's not intel, but I just wanted to run disc utility. I wonder if boot camp is messing this all up.

Quote:

This is good advice, except you've made a slight mistake about when to hold down the shift key. Holding down the shift key immediately after the chime sound will boot in "safe mode", which prevents any third party (kernel) extensions from loading. In order to prevent startup items from loading, you need to press the shift key immediately after pressing the "login" button. If your Mac automatically logs-in a particular user (and you therefore don't see the login screen), the shift key should be held down as soon as the "loading OS X" progress bar disappears.

Shift didn't do anything, I held it the whole time. No startup tricks seem to be working at all! Very frustrating!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

I have to applaud Apple for including an important update for Flash. Personally, I keep up to date with it, and upgrade it myself.

However, the Mac should be easy to use. Mac users should not have to worry about security flaws and Flash, and they should not have to worry about upgrading it (even though it is third party software).

Good work, Apple.

Mac users in generally don't have to worry about security flaws. These updates are the reason. It is simply not possible to recognize or eliminate all security flaws... but apple does a solid job of keeping up.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    IT'S WINDOWS!!!

I've figured out what it is that's locking up my system! It's my windows partition. Everything works fine, but I soon as the windows partition shows up in the left side of the finder window, THAT's when things go belly up!

If I have to reinstall windows, I'm going to use NTFS, get it as far away from my mac as possible.

Edit: My computer problems don't really fit in this topic, unless it was the security update that did all this. =/
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Ok, as much as I'd like to blame microsoft, the problem was fixed after I got the safe boot to work and followed the solution as prescribed on the apple discussion boards.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Ok, as much as I'd like to blame microsoft, the problem was fixed after I got the safe boot to work and followed the solution as prescribed on the apple discussion boards.

But we want to blame somebody! Was Apple at fault? I need to know!

Kidding aside, I encountered no problems.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

But we want to blame somebody! Was Apple at fault? I need to know!

Kidding aside, I encountered no problems.

If I had to blame anyone it would be Adobe, it was version cue that messed everything up, at least for me anyway. Version Cue never worked anyway, it's a royal pain.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Fortunately, no problems for me on my Mini Duo and MBP.