bipolar bear found!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly-polar_bear_hybrid

Sunil: sorry, I couldn't resist. As someone else around here already stated, 'mental disorder' is often times but a convenient label given by society to those they don't get their collectively empty head around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I guess that is what is going to happen when the polar bear habitat goes away due to global warming. The polar bear genes will get folded into the grisley bear gene pool as the brown bears move north.

There have been times in the last 10,000 years that were much warmer than now, they must have had a way to stay alive through it all.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Good thing they killed it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I love that title!

• Reply 4 of 8
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

We will get more, don't worry. Humping would ensue regardless of the capacity to breed.

Of course, it could have been a sterile cross like a mule - we won't know about the true ability of the species to cross until we get a 2nd generation.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by december

Sunil: sorry, I couldn't resist. As someone else around here already stated, 'mental disorder' is often times but a convenient label given by society to those they don't get their collectively empty head around.

No worries mate.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Speaking of mixing up the genome, I'm sure you all heard about the research suggesting that our early ancestors may have ahad a hard time keeping their hands off the chimps.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah, I wouldn't want that thing wandering around my built-on-wetlands suburban home.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Speaking of mixing up the genome, I'm sure you all heard about the research suggesting that our early ancestors may have ahad a hard time keeping their hands off the chimps.

And nowadays beastiality is such a dirty word

But it's good for the genome!!