Unwrapped new Intel iMac and what's next...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
the waiting game that's what next. I just opened up my 17" Intel Core Duo iMac, now don't get me wrong I have a 20" at my other house, and some of you may pictures of my office so you all now by now I love Mac's but give me a break. I have 473.7 MB of downloads. Thank god I have a fast internet connection. Is it just me or does anyone else here thing this is absolutely insane. I mean I do still know people who have dial-up. That would take them days to download all the updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

the waiting game that's what next. I just opened up my 17" Intel Core Duo iMac, now don't get me wrong I have a 20" at my other house, and some of you may pictures of my office so you all now by now I love Mac's but give me a break. I have 473.7 MB of downloads. Thank god I have a fast internet connection. Is it just me or does anyone else here thing this is absolutely insane. I mean I do still know people who have dial-up. That would take them days to download all the updates.

that's pretty amazing, that's like 1/4 the size of the standard OS install last time I checked.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Nobody should still have dial-up and Apple shouldn't just forget providing system updates for the people that do. I'm sure they don't make the updates big for the hell of it. I like Apple's way of thinking because it's progressive. Get rid of the old and cater for the new in the best way possible. Serial dead, Floppy drive dead, dial-up dead. They don't even give you a modem in some new Macs now.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

[B]Nobody should still have dial-up

Yes! You're absolutely right! Let's all write our representatives to make high-speed internet access mandatory for everyone. Choosing a cheaper service should not be allowed, especially if you're just an e-mail checking granny on social security.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

I mean I do still know people who have dial-up. That would take them days to download all the updates.

I fail to see what your point is. None of the updates are necessary for the computer to function. If they have to be done over several days for people with dial-up, that is no different from any other data that a person might wish to download.