Softbank downplays iPod cell phone report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Responding to reports that it had agreed to work with Apple Computer to develop iPod-branded cell phones, Softbank Corp. on Monday issued a statement calling such reports guesswork at best.

In the two-lined statement, the Tokyo, Japan-based IT company said it had made no such announcement regarding a deal with Apple and that published reports are simply assumptions by the media.

On Friday, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported that Softbank President Masayoshi Son and Apple chief executive Steve Jobs have already met and reached a basic agreement to develop iPod-branded cell phones that would go on sale in Japan "sometime this year at the earliest."

Softbank was said to have been chosen by Apple because the company would also offer high-speed Internet access for the cell phones in Japan.

According to the report, Apple planned to later introduce similar cell phones in the United States.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tommo_uktommo_uk Posts: 25member
    Yes, but that's not a denial. Its an exercise intended to seem like a denial. But they haven't said they're not working with Apple - just that they haven't released the news, and that journalists are simply speculating.

That's not a firm denial, or even a denial of any kind. Its a distraction
  • Reply 2 of 12
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tommo_UK

Yes, but that's not a denial. Its an exercise intended to seem like a denial. But they haven't said they're not working with Apple - just that they haven't released the news, and that journalists are simply speculating.

That's not a firm denial, or even a denial of any kind. Its a distraction

Yeah - he pretty much just confirmed the rumours are true, he should have kept his mouth shut.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    i thought the same thing. they could just have said "no comment" yet he came out and basically said "we haven't announced it, you're just guessing, it's not official yet."

or maybe we're reading too much between the lines.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    "Masayoshi? Hi, this is Steve.

Why can't you keep your big mouth shut?

Don't you realise just how SERIOUSLY we take secrecy at Apple?

Can't you feel our pain keeping the MacBook from prying eyes?

Do you really want us to take the iPhone elsewhere?

Our deal is based on a strict need to keep this project under wraps.

Check section 5 of the contract if your lawyers haven't showed you!

This phone will be the biggest thing to hit the planet since the iPod, you know that.

Just how much do you want to miss out?

If you want to keep doing business with us you need to stop taking out journalists to lunch.

Showing off in private will just lead to me making a real dumbass out of you in public when we take our phone to another partner.

Just a thought."
  • Reply 5 of 12
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    they're not denying it, but that's not confirming the report either.

I suspect they're hoping to reach a deal with Apple, but they haven't done so yet.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

"Masayoshi? Hi, this is Steve.

Why can't you keep your big mouth shut?

Don't you realise just how SERIOUSLY we take secrecy at Apple?

Can't you feel our pain keeping the MacBook from prying eyes?

Do you really want us to take the iPhone elsewhere?

Our deal is based on a strict need to keep this project under wraps.

Check section 5 of the contract if your lawyers haven't showed you!

This phone will be the biggest thing to hit the planet since the iPod, you know that.

Just how much do you want to miss out?

If you want to keep doing business with us you need to stop taking out journalists to lunch.

Showing off in private will just lead to me making a real dumbass out of you in public when we take our phone to another partner.

Just a thought."

There's so many rumors floating around about the iPhone, I would say apple don't care about what has happaned. After all, it's not even an American deal and your talking about it. And I'm from Europe and I'm talking/typing about it too.

Someday we might see an apple store in Ireland. After all, the iPod is huge over here
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's no surprise everyone knows apple keeps its business quieter than a cheating husband.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Sometimes companies won't actually deny a rumor, even when it's untrue.

They like to keep the speculation going because it's good publicity, and gets their name associated with that area of activity. If nothing happens months later, most people forget that fact, but in the back of their minds remains the germ of the idea that this company is at the forefront of this technological era.

It goes to mindshare, and might even bring the stock price up a bit. As long as there are no outright denials, all is well.

Therefore, the fact that they didn't simply come out and say "No", doesn't mean anything.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

They like to keep the speculation going because it's good publicity, and gets their name associated with that area of activity. If nothing happens months later, most people forget that fact, but in the back of their minds remains the germ of the idea that this company is at the forefront of this technological era.

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rinninrinnin Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Someday we might see an apple store in Ireland. After all, the iPod is huge over here

I doubt we'll ever get one for 3 reasons:

1. some of the highest property prices in the world

2. lowest broadband penetration in the OECD

3. small population
  • Reply 11 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rinnin

I doubt we'll ever get one for 3 reasons:

1. some of the highest property prices in the world

2. lowest broadband penetration in the OECD

3. small population

1. Midtown New York

2. What's brodband got to do with great products, when most people have a computer? And anybody getting a new computer gets broadband aswell.

3. 4 Million potential customers
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Sony just announced a Walkman Phone with the #2 provider in Japan.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0060523a1.html