MediaCentral vs. FrontRow

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just installed Equinux's MediaCentral and am loving it. While its not quite as pretty as the FrontRow interface, it does automatically find Video_TS folders on any Spotlightable drive and will play them as if they were DVDs. It also searches and resolves aliases to other folders that you place in your Movies folder so that you can play a bunch of different kinds of video that are scattered about in different folders and on different drives.

This is the software that I wish FrontRow had been. When you take into account its native support for the EyeTV products, this piece of freeware might be all you need to turn a MacMini into the MediaCenter that we've been dreaming about.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Crashes like there's no tomorrow.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The interface seems like a bad Rip-off of Front Row, and the sounds are annoying. IMO
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Just installed it on my older powerMac. It is nice to have something like front row, and will try it with my Keyspan remote control tonight.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

The interface seems like a bad Rip-off of Front Row, and the sounds are annoying. IMO

I seem to remember MediaCentral being out there before Front Row? Rip-off? Sure, as much as Konfabulator ripped-off Dashboard.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I seem to remember MediaCentral being out there before Front Row? Rip-off? Sure, as much as Konfabulator ripped-off Dashboard.

• Reply 6 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol