LImeWire Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This may be a stupid question, but can someone explain to me why the LimeWire download for Windows is 3.78MB, OS X is 2.33MB, Linux is 2.54MB, but for MacOS 8.1-9.x is a whopping 11.2MB?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've been wondering that for about a year now too...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    and the 11.2 mb version is that much better than the others.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>This may be a stupid question, but can someone explain to me why the LimeWire download for Windows is 3.78MB, OS X is 2.33MB, Linux is 2.54MB, but for MacOS 8.1-9.x is a whopping 11.2MB?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps the Mac OS Classic version includes its own JVM, while the Mac OS X, etc. versions can use the OS virtual machine?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well this is actually pretty simple

The one for OS 9 or &lt;, has to contain the full swing implimentation. Since Java 1.2 was never released for OS 9 it does contain any Swing components. There was a release for Java 1.1.7, but it was never a standard part of 1.1.7 so anyone who uses Swing needs to ship that for systems that don't use Java 1.2

The OSX install is smaller than Windows because in windows LimeWire has more features. It makes some Native system calls there to allow it to better interact with the OS. The OS X version lacks these features, and is a Pure Java implimentation, so it is smaller.

Nothing too earth breaking.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    thanks for the explaination, BlueJekyll.