What is this new "Glossy Display"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is this really a plus for the MacBook? Is it too bright? Does it cause eyestrain? Is a matte finish better (as it seems to me) for word processing and Internet?

Can one see such a screen at say Best Buy?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

Is this really a plus for the MacBook? Is it too bright? Does it cause eyestrain? Is a matte finish better (as it seems to me) for word processing and Internet?

It should be similar to the dozens of glossy screens at Best Buy or Circuit City.

Apple says:

Choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks - great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the standard widescreen display.

They are giving you an option! Which I think is quite unusual.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I do not see this option for the MacBook, only the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's not optional for the MB, only the MBP. The MB comes with the glossy screen standard, no side-grade.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    blenngblenng Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

Thanks all!

I expect these screens to be the same as in most pc laptops. I have a screen like that on my Toshiba and I must say that the screen of my mbp is much better. If you use these glossy screens in bright sunlight, you can't see anything on them.

So I wouldn't choose such a screen for my mbp.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Yeah. Seems to be glossy only for the MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I guess I'm the dissenting voice. I almost never use a laptop outdoors. Indoors, especially at meetings with low lighting, I prefer the glossy screen. Much better IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Is it really so difficult to post in the correct forum?

Moving to General Discussion.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    ive seen the glossy screens at best buy and they are very nice when viewing movies and pictures. i rarely drag my laptop to the beach so i doubt sunlight would be a issue but i wonder how reflection is in normal situations
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    As long as your lighting isn't poor glossy screens usually aren't that bad. They do give a "Photo" look to pics on screen so I'm not really against them that much. They seem to help a tad with contrast as well.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Transmissive LCDs barely work outdoors anyway. I have a glossy HP laptop at work, and it is very high-glare, but I also don't use it in the sun. ever. Under flourescent lighting or normal indoor conditions, the glare isn't noticeable. Outdoors, it works fine under a tree or umbrella, which is required anyway unless you have a [very good] transflective display.

The other interesting fact is that anti-glare coatings tend to block about 10 to 20% of the light-output, depending on the thickness of the anti-glare coating. AR (Anti-reflective) coatings are more expensive, and not as good at diffusing glare, but are much more transmissive and do a pretty good job. I'm guessing that Apple is using an AR coating.