And the cheese stands alone...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Powermac looks so lonely on the apple store front page. Only computer still under the powerpc heading. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    I think there's that developers conference in August

I think it will be called Mac Pro

and I think the redesigned version of the iMac, when it eventually comes, might be called just "Mac"
  • Reply 2 of 39
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

I think there's that developers conference in August

I think it will be called Mac Pro

and I think the redesigned version of the iMac, when it eventually comes, might be called just "Mac"

The iMac won't get a new design this year, and most likely not for a few years. The design is good, it might get a new color and reduced "Chin" but that is about it. I also doubt that they will loose the "i" from the name, there is a lot of brand recognition in the iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

The iMac won't get a new design this year, and most likely not for a few years. The design is good, it might get a new color and reduced "Chin" but that is about it. I also doubt that they will loose the "i" from the name, there is a lot of brand recognition in the iMac.

+1
  • Reply 4 of 39
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    eventually must mean nothing to you.

and they said themselve they are swithcing brand recognition to "Mac". Does that mean that they'll drop the "i"...no. but who said anything about a redesign this year.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    Ahh it's not alone yet the servers are still Power PC I supect they will be the last to convert.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

and they said themselve they are swithcing brand recognition to "Mac". Does that mean that they'll drop the "i"...no. but who said anything about a redesign this year.

They said they switched from the power monniker in POWERbook to MAC because it was confussing because Apple didn't use PPC anymore.

They wanted all Macs to have "Mac" in their name: and you know what: the iMac has already Mac in it's name. If they wanted to change it, they would have done it at MWSF06.

Maybe a redesigned iMac as in: how to accommodate a larger screen.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    So, Mac Pro and Macserve?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I love the title for this thread.

Some kind of tower is coming a little later this year.. they just want to let Adobe ge their act together so as not to lose pro buyers.

By the way, I have a cheese sitting on the floor next to my desk and I like it.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    They're just waiting for a REAL desktop processor from the Yonah/Dothan architecture. So, basically, we'll see a new PowerMac come WWDC's Keynote which is a week after Conroe and Woodcrest become available; how convenient. I personally can't say I know enough about the two to make a definitive statement on this, but I will bet on Conroe & Woodcrest mix thusly:

Low-end Mac Pro: 2x Conroe Duo @ 2.67 GHz

(Bumped in Sept/Oct to 2.93 Conroe Duo)

(Bumped in January to 3.33 Conroe XE Duo)

Middle of the Road: 2x Conroe Duo @ 2.93 GHz

(Bumped in Sept/Oct to 3.33 Conroe XE Duo)

(Bumped in January to 2x Quad Kentsfield)

Top of the line: 2x Woodcrest Duo @ 3.0 GHz

(Speed Bump in Sept/Oct)

(Bumped in January to 2x Quad Clovertown)

Thus making the top-of -the-line a "Workstation"; along side NVIDIA or ATI workstation GPUs. Hopefully all will feature SLI compatible 16X PCI-e (perhaps 4 PCI in total).
  • Reply 10 of 39
    many rumor sites are now saying woodcrest is due June 19th. I think the Mac pro will appear before WWDC.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

The current imac design IS a redesign they've only been using the current body since the 1.9/2.1 g5 isight model, before that it had a different back shape, port placement, weight, etc.

They've never done that to a machine that HASN'T been a redesign.

So that IS the new design a refined one based on the original imac g5.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Man if they get the Pro Mac out the door before Sept they will be a head of schedule (Even more so) unless the server really brags its feet. We might see a bump on cpu speed again. before Jan...

It's so weird I mean I have been used to this on the PC side but it's nice to see on mac side. Heck if you think about it the MacBook Pro has kinda gotten two bumps since it was announced.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    imho they will offer powermacs until most pro software has gone universal
  • Reply 14 of 39
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    imho there is no reason to wait until most pro apps are UB. As long as some to several pro apps are UB and the CPU and other design elements there is no reason to wait.

CPU speedbumps can be made quitely like the ones for the pro mac book.

The kept a OS9 bootabe tower around for a long time. They can do that with the G5s for those who run applictions or versions of applications that runns better on G5 than on the new towers.

I think Apple will release some real monsters, then it is time to replace the kernel and the filesystem to make them even more impressive
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Agreed they could keep one G5 model around for folks that need a G5.

As for CPU bumps probably silent over time, CPU type changes maybe at Mac Worlds?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    They might modify the CHEESE GRATER tower some, but I think the same basic look/concept will apply...and I think they'll keep selling G5-based towers for a little while after that.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

They might modify the CHEESE GRATER tower some, but I think the same basic look/concept will apply...and I think they'll keep selling G5-based towers for a little while after that.

I'm sure they'll continue to sell G5 towers as long as Adobe drags its feet with the UBs.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The outside is not bad at all. But compare that to

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...oc.aspx?i=2758

were similiar dimentions holds 12 harddisk many opticals and 7 card slots.

Not that I suggest that Apple have to go that far but 2 optical bays and 4 HDS again would be nice. If I wanted piles of external drives I would like to have a minimac...

A long time ago I got a 6100 at work. To later make room for a framegrabber card I had to move the HD to the CD bay. I ended up with external HDs, external ZIP drive, external CD and a promise to never buy small cases again.

I do not agree with "Myst" on an all dual CPU lineup. The topline will be a quad.

Keeping some PPCs in not quite the same as OS 9 vs UB. Some OS 9 appliactions refused to work in classic, especially things like hardware dongles that did not find the hardware in the emulated operative system. With UB or not the hardware is not more abstacted for a Intel OS X box than for a IBM OS X box. It is just a performance loss in the emulation and that can be overcome by brute force. A low end desktop like the 7200/90 was faster than any Quadra 68040 even at running 68k applications. The mactowers will have faster CPUs, at least as fast FSB and much much better northbride than the IBM 970, so that brute force may be available pretty soon8)
  • Reply 19 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

I'm sure they'll continue to sell G5 towers as long as Adobe drags its feet with the UBs.

I heard IBM and Adobe have a deal. "Delay the mo**erfucker so we can keep selling G5s to Apple."
  • Reply 20 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Ever tried grating cheese with one?

It's not bad at all good height to use when your standing in the kitchen and any pieces that don't shred enough are taken care of by the internal fan. Then you simply remove the sides and collect your cheese.