Should I make the switch?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 1.67 15inch PB with 2gig of RAM and the superdrive. Will it make a huge difference to go to the MacBook? I do basic web browsing, email, office stuff and a lot of VPC until my company gets our firewall to work with macs!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I have a 1.67 15inch PB with 2gig of RAM and the superdrive. Will it make a huge difference to go to the MacBook? I do basic web browsing, email, office stuff and a lot of VPC until my company gets our firewall to work with macs!

VPC only works on PPC macs, but you could use Boot Camp to install Windows on your MacBook, I would think. In general: the dual core processor of the MacBook would be the greatest boon, I think. There's a considerable difference in the performance of my 1.67GHZ PowerBook G4 and my dual 1GHZ PowerMac G4--the PowerMac, of course, outperforming it significantly (or so it seems). But still, I think the question probably comes down to whether you would want to dual-boot your MacBook with Windows, rather than use VPC.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    monalisamonalisa Posts: 15member
    No, I would wait. The MBP isn't going to get you much more functionality than you already have with your current 1.67 PB. Wait until Leopard is released and get a Merom based 64-bit MBP. By that time, the next gen "VPC" will be sorted out (i.e. launching windows apps from within MacOS, or whatever they come up with).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I had the latest 15in powerbook and switch to the MBP. Other than the heat, I love it. Suprisingly I use the iSight all the time.

When making backups \ of DVD's with FastDVDCopy, it take about 2/3 the time it took on the my powerbook. All the non-universal apps are about the same, but it is only time before the universal versions are released.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MonaLisa

Wait until Leopard is released and get a Merom based 64-bit MBP.

this is what i'm thinking. 9 months perhaps?