Should Apple make a TV?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I firmly believe Apple should do this, and I would purchase such a product from Apple.

32" slot-load Hard Drive TV Media centre with everything built-in. No keyboard or mouse, cause at the end of the day it's a TV. Wireless etc. for streaming from computer if you like.

(1) Remote control (0-9, rec, plus regular apple remote buttons)

(2) Slot-load Superdrive like iMac, for burning if nessesary, importing media or backing up data.

(3) Built-in speakers and an apple symbol.

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.

Sony Bravia + cinema display + media centre = "Apple TV".

[COLOR=royal blue]Edit>>> three size choices 32", 42", 50"[/COLOR]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    it should at least be a 50" tv!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    no, just a real HD media center...dead quiet full connectivity to your other devices.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Yep.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Rolo?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm embarrased to ask but.. what does 'rolo' mean?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Eventually Apple will update their Cinema Displays with a larger size than 30", I think something bigger than 44" will be coming not very far on the horizon.

I bet they will market this beast for entertainment as well as computer monitor.

But I don't think Apple would release a TV with 1080i for the sake of only watching HDTV or DVDs.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Maybe but I think the first step should at least be a dedicated multimedia box for current tvs.

It'd be crazy to just release this and expect everyone who wants an apple multimedia experience to get a new tv.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I'm embarrased to ask but.. what does 'rolo' mean?

It's not a what its a who

from a sandwich shop not too far away!
  • Reply 9 of 30
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Yes, why not. Some would say that bringing an Apple branded TV into an already brand saturated market would be useless but it's all about image. Apple already have the enviable position of leaders in design as far as computing/MP3 players go and a hell of a lot of people are suckers for design fashion. Combine this with top connections in the consumer electronics industry (ala Sony etc.) and they just may be onto a winner.

Design a great looking TV with great picture/sound/connectivity and function, slap an Apple logo on - watch them fly out the store.

Sometime soon Apple will produce the "All-in-one compTV" before someone else does. Apple really like the all-in-one design apparently

Oh... and maybe we wouldn't need a keyboard/mouse, just speak to the thing and it'll do whatever you wish
  • Reply 10 of 30
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would say that Apple would be incline to do more a Hi-end large monitor than a TV. Steve is not very fond of television. So makes me skeptical to see that happening.

I agreed that a DVR should come first, That would be a solution for the entertainment room that I am looking for. The piece of the ilife that is missing. The ability to record shows. Ala EyeTV.

There are amazing HDTV sets out there from Pioneer Elite to Sony, Panasonic, etc. Why would Apple make a TV on a saturate market?

I think to brand a large computer monitor as one more piece of the Apple strategy for the entertainment room with the stand alone DVR box would make more sense. Have both connect wirelessly to stream photos, music and video and also the Itunes store that would be really cool.

So IMHO, I think a large Cinema Display HD 44" + with really hi-resolution (higher than the 30") is what is coming. That will excite professionals and people just looking to have a great monitor on the entertainment room.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    This issue has been discussed to death already. The idea of an Apple-branded TV is fundamentally a dumb one on so many levels. The most important of these is that prices of HDTV sets are dropping like a stone. I don't see anyone can claim to be an Apple supporter and urge the company to enter a market in which it is guaranteed to take a bath.

On other fronts: Steve Jobs appeared this evening on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams in connection with the opening of the new New York Apple Store. Brian Williams will continue the interview next week.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I want an Apple tractor! Apple needs to make a tractor for me!!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

• Reply 14 of 30
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

And they should come in shiny white and matte black. And I hope they pile on the thermal grease.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

And they should come in shiny white and matte black. And I hope they pile on the thermal grease.

Now that on the other hand is funny
  • Reply 16 of 30
    1. Make a 52" Cinema Display with iSight

2. Add a digital TV tuner and a Mac mini which doubles as a DVR

3. ????

4. Profit!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Why would Apple, which aims to turn users into producers, make a boob tube?

Why would they piss off all the companies that make them, when they'll want to work with them?

Why would they make a DVR, when the current ones are marginally profitable and under a more or less continuous legal threat? Not to mention a fundamentally crude and retrofitted time delay, however slicked up.

I just don't see it. Any DVI-capable HDTV already works with your Mac as slickly as it's going to. It's fast becoming commodified, leaving no room for Apple to compete (yeah, Apple uses commodity components, but the platform is not a commodity).

Slick design? Apple's idea of a slick design these days is to make the components vanish so that all you see is the screen. TVs are already there, long since. Integration? How much integration can you possibly do with a TV? I can think of all kinds of cool stuff you could do with a DVR, all of which would bring down a host of lawyers from the entertainment industry—who would win, by the way, unless the presiding judge took the rare stance of proclaiming much the last 18 years of US copyright law unconstitutional (not that I'd mind...). The DVR has even less of a chance in Europe, whose IP laws make the US' look anarchic. And how many people would want to have to buy an Apple TV to get the DVR anyway? What's the point, when you have the functional equivalent of a DVR sitting in your lap?

I honestly don't see what Apple gains from this, nor what we'd gain from it, except for the passing thrill of having one more thing with a glowing Apple logo on it. Mark my words: Steve is going to do to video what he's doing to audio. All digital. No stock, no ordering, no limited selection of titles (eventually!). You download it, you "own" it (in an analogous way to the way you "own" the songs on a CD). This is (one reason) why Steve is pushing HD support in QuickTime so hard. (The other is of course content creation, and you just know he'd like to have solutions from start to finish.)

The TV will still be there, of course, just as the CD is still here. But instead of retrofitting a DVR to a TV, you'd just buy what you wanted to see, and watch it whenever you wanted to. There are still some major hurdles to clear before Apple can do this, but Steve's been talking to the industry players for some years now, and testing the waters at the iTunes Music Store. I'm sure he fully intends to have everyone lined up for when he rolls this out in earnest.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I have a nice TV which I hope to enjoy for the next 10 years, or so.

That's an awfull long time.

In the same time I probally buy 3 Macs with a price much higher than this rather expensive TV.

It's not a market you should wish Apple to enter.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I voted no. I'd rather see them concentrate on the media center, and current projects. There are plenty of TV manufacturers out there. I love my 65" MItsubishi anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I'd just like to see a cheap TV tuner for Mac. All the ones I see are about £200+. You get ones for Windows under £50. That would make a Mini ideal for replacing a DVD recorder.

You can get a cheap Mini off ebay for close to £250, possibly less now. Then you can use your bluetooth phone as a remote:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...th_remote.html

I hate all-in-ones so I wouldn't like a Mac TV.